Sundry ODI/T20I series, June-Dec 2016

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sundry ODI/T20I series, June-Dec 2016

Postby PKBasu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Manish has won us a game in Australia...but he does need to follow that up with something of substance in this series.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:59 pm

It depends on how he does too. He was unlucky to be run out in one of the innings. Last time he was not out. Unless he is totally out of sorts, I would give him chances for England. I think it is Rahane who has shown that he cannot rotate the strike and keep his wicket at the same time and should be on notice.

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Sin Hombre » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:08 am

We need Manish Pandey to develop into a top ODI player and he has the skillset to get there so we need to give him those chances. Him and Rahul are our best choices as batsmen to develop into world class.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm

When Kohli is on song (which is almost all the time in ODIs), we almost need nobody else! The way he paced himself in the 3rd ODI was simply amazing: kept the required rate at just over 7 all the way, then just hammered the 23 runs needed in the 48th over to settle the issue. And those 23 runs were scored with controlled aggression.
If we win the 4th ODI, Kohli should be rested for the 5th to see who else can rise to the occasion.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:30 pm

I would rest Kohli right away to give Mandip a chance. In a year's time, most people will not remember or care about who won the ODI series against NZ at home. Or drop Rahane and give Mandip a chance. Although Rahane is a complicated case. He is an exceptional test batsman, including abroad. If he learned to rotate the strike, he would be of great value abroad where the domestic, flat-track stalwarts such as Rohit may not perform as well ...

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:42 pm

If we look at the spinners, it seems Mishra has been a bit more effective than Axar Patel. Patel offers better batting skills. Mishra bowling. Should Mishra be the third spinner in the Champion's Trophy? (assuming that he keeps his form?).

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:38 am

Dhawal Kulkarni (replacing the injured Bumra) being taken to the cleaners: 37 runs off 4 overs. Yadav has had a few catches put down -- and a few going to the absent second slip (with Dhoni going defensive early).

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 pm

For those of you who are actually watching this series as opposed to following scores on the web: why is Axar Patel batting ahead of Manish Pandey during an iffy chase? Is Axar Patel really considered a better bat than Pandey?

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm

I think they wanted to test Axar's batting ability, since Manish has had a few times at bat. Also, they wanted him to counter the Kiwi Bowling spearhead Santner.
Latham pulled off a blinder at deep mid-on to end Pandey's promising knock. Now it is up to Pandya and Axar to take India to the target.

Amit Mishra is a serious liability in the field. He is an incredibly slow runner, and rarely jumps more than three inches off the ground (thereby making simple catches seem incredibly difficult, which he then puts down or doesn't reach). Had he jumped half as high as Latham just did, Mishra would have picked up at least a couple of catches today.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm disappointed that Manish Pandey has failed to enhance his reputation in this series. He was scoring needlessly fast in this innings, for instance, perhaps to compensate for Dhoni's slow knock (11 off 31).

Pandey should've taken the responsibility to take India to victory today.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Another great catch by Latham ends Pandya's knock. India heading to defeat now, and Manish (plus Dhoni) bears responsibility.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Kedar Jadhav's first ball duck was poor too. His simple bowling (slow right arm, with the occasional slight offbreak, and variations of line, length and flight) has been a boon, but he is in the side mainly as a batsman and that's where he needs to contribute. He did get a ball that kept low but should've been able to keep that out.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Dhoni starts too slowly (like Mohinder Amarnath used to) and this sometimes puts unnecessary pressure on himself and (if he gets out) on those who bat after him.
Today he had 1 off 11 at one stage, and ended on 11 off 31 balls, eating up too much time.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:32 pm

The batting side has become too dependent on Kohli. The discarding of Manoj Tiwary now looks silly. Pandey needs to step up to the plate and play responsibly and less riskily-- as should Kedar Jadhav. Today Rahane showed his utility, but Rohit continued to fail (as he has in all the ODIs after doing reasonably well in the tests).

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Yes, in this series, India has been totally dependent upon Kohli. I suppose Dhoni is the #2 supporting cast. If he does well, we win. If he does not, everyone else collapses. Dhoni has done okay but he has been too slow in this series. He needs to up the scoring rate or retire. Rahane has done just a tad less than what he should. It is those extra few runs scored in a few less balls that will make him a solid player. Not there yet. Pandey has failed. So, has Kedar Jadav. It is cruel to chuck them out. But, such is cricket. There are about 6 matches left before the Champions Trophy. Maybe Raina should be back versus England, because, we need some experience in the tail and two youngsters is too much. So, that leaves Jadhav and Pandey to duke it out. Jadhav can bowl. But, Pandey is younger and is a better bet for the future. Given Raina can bowl, I would go with Pandey. Very tough on Jadhav. Rahane will make way for Rahul or Dhawan.

I hope Kulkarni is given a few more games and Umesh is rested. I would like to see Kulkarni and Bumrah for the final game. But, I suspect it will be Bumrah coming back in Kulkarni's place. Axar is an okay bat and an okay bowler. Maybe try Jayant because he spins the ball the other way?

Return to “The Cricket Forum”