Sundry ODI/T20I series, June-Dec 2016

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Sundry ODI/T20I series, June-Dec 2016

Postby PKBasu » Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 am

India will tour Zimbabwe (yawn) for another ODI series with a second or third-string squad. Dhoni will captain the side, which comprises the following: Dhoni (c), KL Rahul, Faiz Fazal, Manish Pandey, Karun Nair, Ambati Rayudu, Rishi Dhawan, Axar Patel, Jayant Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jasprit Bumrah, Barinder Sran, Mandeep Singh, Kedar Jadhav, Jaydev Unadkat, Yuzvendra Chahal.

Weird selection. Ashok Dinda deserved selection well ahead of Sran (who has failed in his ODIs so far). I would definitely have picked Unmukt Chand ahead of Faiz Fazal, and would have preferred Rishab Pant (the find of this year's IPL) in the squad as well.

PKBasu

Re: Sundry ODI/T20I series, June-Dec 2016

Postby PKBasu » Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 am

Odd, too, that Hardik Pandya -- supposedly the find of the T20 world cup for India -- is not in the squad. Competition between him and Rishi Dhawan would appear to be a good idea.
Stuart Binny actually has a decent record in ODIs -- batting average of nearly 29 and a strike rate of 93+, bowling average of 22 and economy rate of less than 5.4. That is the one team he deserves to be in -- certainly not tests. But don't ask for rationality from our selectors. (His test record is dismal, with 3 wickets from 6 tests at 86 apiece, and batting average of 21.55).

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:17 pm

For the opening game, I would play Binny, Bumrah, and Unadkat as the three pacers. Then, we can consider Kulkarni and Rishi as alternatives if these guys do not look good. Axar and Chahal are the two spinners. If they want to go for four pacers, I would bring Kulkarni instead of Chahal. But, it is worth taking a look at Chahal given that Mishra is getting old.

My choice for the batting would be: Rahul, Fazal, Pandey, Dhoni, Rayudu, Kedar. Nair and Mandeep in the reserves.

I think Fazal has had a very poor List-A career. He is 30. Why choose him? I would have given Pujara a longer run if you want to rest the regulars. But, given the squad, I see there are no other openers. Maybe Nair can be asked to open or some of the other bats can be asked to move up and open. Nair is a much better prospect, imho.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed May 25, 2016 2:26 am

I am, yet again, shocked that Piyush Chawla is still out of even this second-string squad.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:37 am

Chahal got selected by virtue of being the highest wicket-taker this IPL season. Chawla faded in the last few games in that Kuldeep may play today instead of him. I would have tried Chawla at some point in the last few years. Actually, Mishra has not gotten very many chances in ODIs.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:09 am

KL Rahul got a century on his ODI debut as India comfortably beat Zimbabwe in the first ODI by 9 wickets. Bumrah (4/28) starred with the ball.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:31 am

Chahal did okay but Mishra is possibly still our best leggie. Kedar Jadhav, Manish Pandey, and Ambati Rayudu have done very well whenever they have been given chances. I hope they along with Rahul are played in the next real series to see if they can perform consistently against top opposition. Building a solid bench for the next world cup is important in this era of non-stop cricket and injuries.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Another easy win yesterday, with Chahal and Bumra starring with the ball. I have to question whether Zimbabwe should be considered an international side any longer if they lose so abjectly to an India B or C XI like this.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 am

Our U-12 national chess champion did something pretty smart. After over-stepping, which he should really not as a spinner, he speared in a 109kmph seam up delivery, I read. He should really move from Haryana and go to some other state where he will not be behind Amit Mishra. He left chess because there was no sponsorship for him. A MoM is not bad albeit against Zimbabwe.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:11 am

Why the hell are Zimbabwe still an ODI side? Ridiculous that they fell again for less than 130 in the third match -- 123 all out. Bumrah gets another 4-for. Chahal 2 wickets and Axar 1/16 in 10 overs!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Another shellacking by 10 wickets. For Zimbabwe to be thrashed this way at home by an India B/C XI is a travesty of international cricket.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:39 pm

This has been an useless series. I would try almost the same team for a real series. Don't worry if you lose 5-0. Figuring out whether these guys are international standard is important.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:41 am

Dhoni could not get 8 runs scored in the last over! Poor loss! Dhoni cannot bat at #6 or #7 anymore. He has to come earlier. We need a big hitter at those spots. Try to see how much we can get from Yusuf Pathan or use one of the Pandya's.

In the IPL after Sehwag and Yusuf, the best career SR for an Indian batsman belongs to Ashish Reddy, followed by Harbhajan, Dhoni, Raina, and Hooda. Then comes Suryakanth Yadav. I don't know much about Ashish Reddy or Hooda. Maybe someone should give them some A-team chances to see if they can consistently hit big. After Sehwag and Yusuf are gone, we have not had anyone.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:24 am

Dhoni's method in run chases is idiosyncratic and actually rather silly when applied against teams like Zimbabwe. He creates unnecessary tension by allowing the chase to go to the last few deliveries; it has worked more often than not, but when the drama fails, he looks ridiculous. Never more so than on this occasion!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:50 am

India won the second T20I comfortably by 10 wickets, after dismissing Zim for 99. But that first loss still hurts!

Return to “The Cricket Forum”