Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Test series 2016 (in WI; then hosting, BD, NZ, England)

Postby prasen9 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:11 pm

I am with Sin Hombre now. Though Jadeja is a better bat talent-wise, skills-wise, and strokes-wise, he is deficient in the upper chambers. Jayant has a better head resulting in better application and better results. He also possibly has a better technique to handle the short-ball and the swinging ball --- although it is difficult to extrapolate what he will look like in fast pitches. He should bat ahead of Jadeja. And, eventually, maybe even ahead of Ashwin if he keeps this form.

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby S_K_S » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:02 am

"Giant" Yadav. Top batsman :notworthy:

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:13 am

Decent batsman, but susceptible to short pitched bowling. I withhold judgement on his batting outside India.
His bowling in this match has been pedestrian at best.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 am

Naman Ojha played the last test at the PPS in Colombo 2015, where pacers got 8 wickets for India in the first innings and 5 in the second. It was clearly not a turner, and certainly not a pitch that had spin and bounce like the Wankhede had in this test. Keeping wickets on a turner is much more challenging than on a more sedate pitch.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 am

Yes, it is not the same. However, we have given over 20 matches to Parthiv and he is still a sub-par Test keeper. I would go with someone else.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:45 am

Parthiv isn't a sub-par wicket-keeper. He hasn't done much worse than Saha did in the second test. And he did much better with the bat, especially in the third test.
Both Saha and Shami are still out injured, so both will miss the Chennai test. I wonder whether Karun Nair will get picked again or Manish Pandey will get his first cap. And the other slight question mark is whether Umesh continues to play despite being underwhelming in this series.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 am

So five test series wins in succession for Virat Kohli, who has been absolutely magnificent with the bat -- aided by his bowling talisman, Ashwin. These two are truly extraordinary cricketers at the peak of their powers now. Ashwin is still getting better, adding more arrows to his quiver (including a top-spinner he bowled for the first time in this series here, and got a wicket). Kohli is close to the finished article -- but what an amazing finished article. Three test double centuries this year are a mark of genius. And at 28, I think he has 7 more years at least at this level.

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Looks like weather may mess with the Chennai test.

No one seems to be questioning Jayant's spot in the squad - I am hugely appreciative of the doughty batting, but he's in there as a bowler, and produced one wicket across two innings in Mumbai. Or is he now being treated as a bowling all-rounder?

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:32 pm

PKBasu wrote:Parthiv isn't a sub-par wicket-keeper.
By sub-par, I meant below average.
He hasn't done much worse than Saha did in the second test.
Saha only missed one stumping in that match.
I wonder whether Karun Nair will get picked again or Manish Pandey will get his first cap. And the other slight question mark is whether Umesh continues to play despite being underwhelming in this series.
It would be very harsh on Nair to drop him after two innings, in one of which he was run-out. Wrt Umesh, he deserves being dropped. But, I am not excited by Shardul. However, we should give him a game because there may not be much to lose anyway.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Prashant wrote:No one seems to be questioning Jayant's spot in the squad - I am hugely appreciative of the doughty batting, but he's in there as a bowler, and produced one wicket across two innings in Mumbai. Or is he now being treated as a bowling all-rounder?
In three matches, he took 9 wickets at around 30/wicket. Plus, the runs. He is a good fielder. He deserves more chances. You cannot take one match and select based only on that. Same principle as to why Nair deserves more chances.

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Sin Hombre » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:52 pm

And that one wicket he took was of Joe Root. He also got Root out earlier in the series in the 50s if I recall correctly.

The third spinner in Indian conditions is not going to be a match winner when Ashwin is so dominant.

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Fair enough on Jayant. I watched most of the third test & none of the fourth test - I was definitely impressed with him in test #3, just wanted to get a sense if that was flash in the pan, or if his bowling stilled looked high quality in test #4...

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:56 pm

His bowling is okay for Indian conditions. I don't know any of the other candidates in domestics to know whether he is the #2. Mishra looks to me to be a bigger spinner of the ball, but, he does not seem to get wickets in tests. I'd move him to limited overs only if we can manage his sluggish fielding.

indiansportsfan

Postby indiansportsfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Seems like Anderson is likely to be replaced in the last Test by Broad, which is bad news for us. Anderson was quite mediocre (as expected), whereas Broad was good (at times). I think England needs to think about retiring Anderson, or at the very least restrict him to swinging conditions, a la Bhuvi.

Jayant Yadav's bowling hasn't been great, but he seems to be in the team primarily because of his batting. There should be a few spinners in the domestic scene who are better than him; Kuldeep Yadav's name first comes to mind.

Atithee

Postby Atithee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:30 pm

For a third spinner role, first you want them to be the best bat and second have an attitude. If Kuldeep is better than Jayant in these areas, then get him. Their bowling role is really not that critical,in my opinion. They are just there for variety and relief to the frontline bowlers, fast or slow spinners. Yet, they cannot be replaced with a pure batsman as Dhoni preferred unlike Kohli.

Return to “The Cricket Forum”