T20 World Cup, 2016

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: T20 World Cup, 2016

Postby ankit1407 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Well MS captaincy is bizzare, played a master stroke to get Kohli an over and then did not bowl him again, had confidence on useless Pandya but not his best bowler Ashwin to come back..

ankit1407

Postby ankit1407 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 pm

20 4s and 11 6s by our guys in 20 overs...well doesn't require any more analysis...

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Our spinners were taken out of equation here due to pitch ( & probably dew ) & that made all the difference. I agree that on this pitch we needed 220 to be safe.

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby prasen9 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Rahane's slow batting was the difference at the end --- at least on the batting side. It was clear that in the Wankhede, this total would not be enough. At the end of the day, the selection of Rahane or Dhawan at the top was the problem. Dhawan has not figured out how to bat in T20Is and Rahane is not good enough. We should have had Uthappa or someone new like Chand or pushed Manish Pandey to open. Sad!

SaniaFan

Postby SaniaFan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Basically we lost because we gave too many lives to simons. Twice getting him out on no balls!! I mean those bowlers should be kicked(you can choose the side front or back). And then third time Jadeja stepped on the rope!! It was simons' day.

Varma

Postby Varma » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 pm

True, those two chances were the game changers. But to be fair to Windieis, they let Kohli go twice in the same ball when he was on 1 :)

Nevertheless, I can't believe how consistent Kohli is. At this moment, he seems like a superman.
- Varma

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:24 am

No-balls in T20s are absolutely criminal, and bowlers need to be extra careful to avoid them -- especially a spinner! Pandya's no-ball was quite egregious. As Wasim Akram said on commentary, he was lucky there were no replays in his day -- because only god knows how many of his wickets would have been reversed on review. Umpires obviously give bowlers the benefit of the doubt unless there is a clearly visible over-stepping, and the TV replays are a lot better at capturing those.

Nehra bowled beautifully yesterday -- the only bowler not to take a hiding -- and he has been excellent throughout this tournament. Bumrah was good too, but not good enough yesterday. It was strange that Kohli (after one good over) did not bowl until the last over (and it was very unfair to ask him to deliver with the ball on that last over).

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 am

Dhoni was again asked the retirement question yesterday, and I loved his response! (If you didn't see it, here it is: http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/79 ... lliant-way).
He is only 34, and clearly will be fit enough to play the 2019 ODI World Cup, so there is no reason for him to retire. His 'keeping and batting remain exemplary. Captaincy too is very good in limited-overs cricket.

In his post-match comments, though, Dhoni needs to learn to congratulate the other team when India loses.

ssp

Postby ssp » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Really pleased to see a double win for the West Indies. Very impressive showing by their women especially.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 am

It was such a joy to be at Eden Gardens as the Windies' Cricket glories were resurrected. The men's final was a classic, with the ups and downs that make cricket such a great sport. Just as it seemed one team was getting on top, the other would strike a couple of blows and take the upper hand. People had begun congratulating the small clumps of England fans by the end of the 18th (and especially 19th) over. But Carlos Brathwaite had other ideas -- and what an audacious idea that turned out to be. Samuels' reactions after the first and second six were especially telling: he ran across, hugged and lifted his giant colleague after the second six (knowing that 7 runs in 4 balls was a near-certainty). After the third six, he just kept running round and round in circles around Carlos, as if propitiating the new God of tail end batting! The final six was a formality, its celebration joined by the women's team and the swarming crowd's joy.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 am

The crowd's sentiment was echoed in the words I heard a few times as I left Eden, "Eder kachhe hara kono dukkher kotha noy" (losing to such a team is no cause for sadness).

The world of Cricket is delighted at West Indies' triumphal run this year!

rajitghosh

Postby rajitghosh » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:34 am

Request all to watch the documentary "Fire in Babylon" on the West Indies team. I recently played it at my company's annual conference and I can tell you people got goosebumps.
Hope this World Cup win becomes a Fire in Babylon moment for the current team.

Return to “The Cricket Forum”