All about SR Tendulkar

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: All about SR Tendulkar

Postby Sandeep » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:19 am

I was talking to some of my friends and going through my FB messages, it is unreal how much people "Love" Sachin . All of us just adore him. I don't think any other sports person is loved as much as Sachin. I mean there are greats and legends in all sports like Federer, Maradona, Bradman, Schumacher, Tiger Woods etc, people like to watch them but they are not even close to getting the kind of adulation Sachin is experiencing right now. He is so different from many legends that the world of sports has seen. He represented the dream of every Indian middleclass and that is why people treated him as their own son or brother.

It is often said that no sports person is bigger than the game, but in the case of Sachin it is not true. If we think about it and when I go back to my childhood, whenever India used to play a match, the first thing I would ask if I am not watching the match is the score and the next immediate question would be, is Sachin still playing. This was the case in 1990s with 90% of the Indians. For all of us who grew with the great man, Sachin was cricket and cricket was Sachin. There were innumerable incidents when I scheduled my programs around Sachin's batting and not around the cricket match. Even in the 200th match, the way crowd were cheering Indian batsmen getting out just to watch Sachin bat one more time goes on to show that Sachin for Indians was bigger than the game.

A true legend in every sense and for many reasons, just stats don't justify what Sachin is to Indians. People might come up with stats like batting in crunch, winning more matches etc, but the impact Sachin had on the game is unparalalled. In fact Sachin is the primary reason many children wanted to play cricket, and he has played a huge role in what the Indian team is today. Hats off to the great man. Sachin you were, are and will be one of my greatest inspirations in life.

His farewell speech should be made mandatory for all school children and budding sportspersons. I am not exaggerating in saying that his speech has life's lesson in it. If any of the forum members haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend to stop all your work and watch it immediately. You will become a better human being after watching it.

Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby Omkara » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:30 am

A lot of things made him special... He was the only one who could play one cricket in the 90's till sourav and others joined, stories during the fixing days where Wadekar woke him up in the night to say so and so will be out easily and Sachin replying he will fight it out and then going on to win the match for us..... these are special. extra-ordinary for us. As for his speech, every parent in Indian should hear it. His father allowed him to follow his dreams with on limiting criteria.. no short cuts. Indian parents say follow dreams with one criteria... the dream has to be of the parents...At 11 even today how many parents risk their kids life by allowing him to pursue sports...

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 am

His upbringing ( influenced mainly by his father who was a professor of Marathi literature) played a major part in him staying as humble as he was & indirectly contibuted to his success. The reverse is true in case of Vinod Kambli. In their school days, Vinod was said to be even more talented than Sachin. But, despite great start to his career, he could never go on & come anywhere close to the heights achieved by Sachin.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Omkara wrote:Yup a very emotional good bye. My FB timeline about people talking about how they cried during the speech. Ravi Shashtri played spoil sports

Ravi Shastri is a kebab may haddi among the great complement of commentators now assembled by StarSports. He simply doesn't belong, but wants to dominate. Throughout his career, he was utterly mediocre (usually the 10th or 11th man selected to an XI, and performing accordingly), except in what turned out to be his farewell test (also Warne's first), in which he got a double century in Sydney and got a bunch of wickets -- then got injured, and decided to retire at 31. Smartest move he made!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I read the speech on Cricinfo, and was moved (had a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye). Later I heard it in full -- and found there was much that Cricinfo had abbreviated. This time the tears did not stay in the eye. I am an emotional person, and Sachin's was a beautiful speech. All in all, I think he is a most deserving Bharat Ratna. (Dhyan Chand should get it posthumously too, but not too many others deserve it: Anand should have been given it, but now it may be a bit late -- and awkward -- to give it to him just as he seems to be heading toward defeat).

cricketics

Postby cricketics » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Before the start of the series, there were lots of noise being made of how India is making look Tendulkar more than the game and how it's being organised for him. After the test ended and Tendulkar gave that speech, everyone, even the foreign Media had fallen in love with man and and lump in their throat.

India and it's fans didn't make him look above the game, we just gave him the send-off which he deserved.

Tolamu

Postby Tolamu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 am

Good choice of opposition too to give him a winning farewell. Imagine the deferred SA tour as the farewell match instead of the hastily arranged WI tour, and get drubbed.

What an ideal sendoff!! Two innings victories, 1 wicket and 1 half-century in his last innings.

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby Sandeep » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 am

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am

It used to be that Ganguly was lying because grapes were sour. But, now, it seems Chappell is saying that Tendulkar was lying ... I wonder why. Tendulkar never needed any favors from anyone. Why would he have an axe to grind? But, you see everyone except Chappell is lying ...

I am glad to see the respect Tendulkar had for the other two Dravid and Ganguly. And, I am sure he had the same for Laxman. A true gentleman!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:19 am

Sandeep wrote:Excellent tribute by google+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkqCBMF ... NwaQNx5Uyl

Indeed!

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:24 am

Now, everyone ( Saurav, Harbhajan, Laxman, Zaheer) are talking about Greg Chappell -

Sachin Tendulkar vs Greg Chappell: reactions to the Sachin Story

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:54 am

prasen9 wrote:I am glad to see the respect Tendulkar had for the other two Dravid and Ganguly.

Are you sure? If so, shouldn't he have at least hinted about this to Ganguly, who sounds surprised? He had to wait for a book to come out? From what I can gather, Ganguly would've been happy to have heard of this much earlier, even if it didn't come out in the open. I don't know, maybe my long-time soft corner for Ganguly as somebody who meant a lot to Indian cricket but hasn't got enough of such respect, is showing....

Not trying to blame SRT or anything. Maybe I am reading this wrong. I haven't read all the articles...

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 am

jayakris wrote:
prasen9 wrote:I am glad to see the respect Tendulkar had for the other two Dravid and Ganguly.

Are you sure? I don't know, maybe my long-time soft corner for Ganguly as somebody who meant a lot to Indian cricket but hasn't got enough of such respect, is showing....

Can not agree more..Always felt for for Gangully as thought he changed the attitude of Indians in overseas condition and contributed a lot but did not get enough recognition...

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:42 am

Jay, I think SRT is more of the quiet type. I believe his support was important for Ganguly to make a return to test cricket. Behind the doors, I think SRT told the selectors that Ganguly is not a locker-room plague that Chappell wanted him to look like. I think he did not feel it right to go to Ganguly and say that Chappell wanted to remove Dravid. That was a small issue and that would be more like gossiping.

On another note, Jay, your theory of hiring people with proven track records is upheld by the Chappell fiasco. I believe Chappell was a coach only once before coaching India. He took South Australia from #2 to being one of the worst teams, if I recall correctly. Great players always do not make great coaches. I hope we have learnt our lessons.

Omkara

Postby Omkara » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:29 am

Ganguly never got the recognition in media but he is immensely respected the people in general. Not only did he change the attitude, I feel he was the first and most impartial captain in a country like India were caste, religion & region related issues plague the system.

Return to “The Cricket Forum”