GOLF MAJORS/ WGC Events

All golf tournaments threads should be posted here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: GOLF MAJORS/ WGC Events

Postby PKBasu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:30 am

Sin Hombre wrote:This is the best story in Indian sport in a very long time.

When was the last time an Indian placed 5th in a globally played individual sport? Vijay's QF appearances in the 80s comes to mind.

Vijay made one Wimbledon QF in the 1980s (1981, losing to Connors in five sets), Ramesh Krishnan made 3 (US Open 1981 -- losing to McEnroe in 4 sets -- and 1987, and Wimbledon 1986). Vijay also made the QF of both Wimbledon and the US Open in 1973, and the US Open QF in 1974. The 1987 run in the US Open was really quite exciting for me, as I had just arrived in the US (to go to grad school at UPenn), and remember watching Ramesh beat 2-time AO champ Johan Kriek in the 3rd round on TV. My neighbourhood pizza-parlor owner was a Philippino who took great pride in a fellow Asian making the QF of the US Open!

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Sin Hombre » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 am

Tiger can win a US open again in the right circumstances. I think he is done winning the rest which are all low scoring.

He used to be great on them but he was never as consistent as these guys off the tee even in his prime and needed to scramble a lot. The depth in the field is quite spectacular at the moment.

An easy way to look at that is the last 2 PGA championships hosted at the same course Whistling Straits. Vijay won with a -8 in 2004 and Kaymer with a -11 in 2010. Anirban shot a -13 this weekend and Jason Day -20 !!

If the weather conditions are good, these guys are all consistently going very low. And Anirban is the first Indian golfer with the game to compete on that.

suresh

Postby suresh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:20 am

T5 from Anirban is amazing. Congratulations to Anirban!

prashanthm

Postby prashanthm » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:49 am

Fantastic round for Anirban under pressure to finish T5 and earn a huge paycheck, which is big boost for his career... :clap:

Although he could've done better.... But I guess with this experience, he'll be able to handle these kind of opportunities in a better manner.... :goodluck:

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:51 pm

The Indian press is slowly -- far too slowly -- waking up to this monumental achievement. Here's an earlier report from Rediff, with a photo in which Anirban looks a lot like (a slightly chubbier version of) Leander Paes:
http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/pga ... 150816.htm

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Superb achievement by Anirban.

Sin Hombre wrote:This is the best story in Indian sport in a very long time.

When was the last time an Indian placed 5th in a globally played individual sport? Vijay's QF appearances in the 80s comes to mind.

Unfortunately, the awareness and knowledge of golf is much lower even among sporting fans in India ( let alone general public who give some cursory glance on sports pages). A grand slam QF in tennis singles say would have generated a lot more buzz . The media has to take lead in publicising this achievement.

ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Postby ajay » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

I didn't get a chance to post here earlier but finally I managed some time now. What a great achievement by Anirban. He rocks! Congratulations Anirban!!

He will be definitely the greatest golfer for India in due course of time as he surpasses one achievement after another of other Indian players. He seems to be quite comfortable in US unlike Jeev, although Jeev did manage the best Indian result in major (PGA Championship 2008) on US soil till yesterday. I still remember that Jeev, during the course of the T9th finish, actually led the leaderboard at some point of time, which brought lot of excitement to Indian golf fans. Anirban didn't lead the field but still he was T2 for sometime in this tournament. I'm sure, Anirban will soon get his PGA card and become a regular, just like Arjun Atwal and Daniel Chopra.

Here is what Jeev had to say about Anirban's achievement: It's just the start of an incredible journey: Jeev Milkha Singh on Lahiri's PGA achievement
Jeev Milkha Singh wrote:"I would first like to congratulate him on what was a stupendous achievement. I thought he was just outstanding in how he handled the unique pressures of a major championship, and I am sure this is just the start of an incredible journey for him."
"Anirban's finish betters the tied-ninth I recorded in Oakland Hills in 2008, and I am delighted that my record has been broken. This shows progress for Indian golf, and that makes me happier rather than have my name against a record.
"This performance will also be a massive boost to other Indian players and I hope it inculcates a healthy competitive feeling. What Anirban has done should be the launching pad for many such success stories from our country.
"I wish Anirban all the best in the future and hope he will soon be hoisting a major trophy on a Sunday evening."

By the way, Daniel Chopra won twice on PGA tour while Arjun won once. Except PGA tour, Jeev had victories in all other tours he played - Asian (6 titles), Japan (4), and European (4 ). And his most famous victory came in European season ending Volvo Masters in the year 2006.

ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Postby ajay » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Read here to see Anirban's reaction to this result!

Lahiri enjoys memorable top-5 finish
“It’s been a fantastic week. I won’t really say I was in contention here because I was a long way out but I was in the mix. It’s a great feeling, it’s massive for me. It gives me so much confidence. It also tells me that I can compete with the best on the toughest courses and the best fields. It also tells me that I need to get just a little bit better and maybe I’ll be back here more often.

This is more a pressure reliever than anything else, pressure from myself because I know I’m good enough to compete out here. But I’ve not seen anything that would suggest that and this week kind of puts that to rest. I can come out here and play more freely, not having to prove anything to myself. I putted a lot better. But it’s obviously the scoring aspect that I feel is lacking a little bit. I think that’s where I need to tighten it up, just around the greens and make a few more 10 and 12-footers,” said Lahiri, who played alongside Matt Kuchar who also shot a closing 68 to finish one spot behind him. I was really in a good zone. I was playing well, I was hitting it good. I think the three-putt on 10 from five or six feet, I think that was like a kick in the stomach for me. It just knocked the wind out of me.

Then I did really well to gather myself from a difficult position. But again, it was kind of disappointed to finish in the end. I think a couple of shots better would have got my card on the PGA Tour. So a little bummed about that.

I didn’t really feel out of place. I think that’s a massive positive for me. I felt really comfortable whoever I was playing with and whenever I was playing and whatever I was doing, I felt very much at home. I think that’s a good sign.

Sin Hombre

Postby Sin Hombre » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 am

ajay wrote:I didn't get a chance to post here earlier but finally I managed some time now. What a great achievement by Anirban. He rocks! Congratulations Anirban!!

He will be definitely the greatest golfer for India in due course of time as he surpasses one achievement after another of other Indian players. He seems to be quite comfortable in US unlike Jeev, although Jeev did manage the best Indian result in major (PGA Championship 2008) on US soil till yesterday. I still remember that Jeev, during the course of the T9th finish, actually led the leaderboard at some point of time, which brought lot of excitement to Indian golf fans. Anirban didn't lead the field but still he was T2 for sometime in this tournament. I'm sure, Anirban will soon get his PGA card and become a regular, just like Arjun Atwal and Daniel Chopra.

Jeev only led after day one and had already fallen out of the top 5 after 54 holes.

Anirban's game is also well suited for the US unlike Jeev so he should as you say become India's greatest ever golfer.

Still to beat
- Jeev's best ever ranking of 28.
- Jeev's win at the Volvo Masters in 2006. As the concluding event on the European tour, this is the equivalent of winning an ATP500. (Majors = Grand Slams, WGC/TPC/Barclays = ATP1000 or masters). This win is the only Indian win at this level.
- Jeev's 4th place finish at the WGC so best ever finish by an Indian at the ATP1000 level or higher. Anirban came pretty close to beating that.

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:23 am

Congrats to Anirban on a fantastic performance. Hopefully, this is just a precursor for even greater achievements.

Apparently, he is very long which should help him do well on the PGA tour. Was very surprised to see that he won the long drive competition before the pga championship and I wonder if that added to his confidence to do well here.

prajgolf

Postby prajgolf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:07 pm

SSP Chawrasia got off to a good start with a three-under 69 and has put him at tied 31st position at the end of the first day’s play of the $8.5 million WGC-HSBC Champions. Anirban Lahiri shot a two under 70 and is lying tied-42nd.

prajgolf

Postby prajgolf » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:23 am

After end of round 2, both SSP and Anirban have slipped from their overnight positions. SSP is currently T37 (3 under par) and Anirban is T61 (1 over par).

prashanthm

Postby prashanthm » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Anirban had a disastrous sequence of 5 holes starting from the 8th after getting a birdie on his 7th...

double bogey on the 8th
bogey on the 9th
bogey on the 10th
par on the 11th
bogey on the 12th

Those 5 holes lost him 5 strokes and costed him dearly... :damn:

Sin Hombre

Postby Sin Hombre » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:01 am

And today Anirban goes 5 under on the back 9 (his front 9 for the day).

prajgolf

Postby prajgolf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:52 am

Anirban had a 6 under par round for the day and has moved up to tied 40th position, SSP has slipped to tied 43rd position.

Return to “Golf Tournaments”