Admin Annoucements about the board

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

HELP NEEDED TO UPDATE SITE

Postby Dhruv » Sat May 19, 2007 8:57 am

Hi all,

I have just added player sections to the website.  The sections will become viewable as people add material to them.  To add material to these sections you need to go to the USER MENU and then the "Manage Content" section.  Select the section that you think the player should be in and add the material.  If the player does not exist add the material under the "Other" Category.

Let me know if there are players who should be there but are not at the moment.

Regards,

Dhruv

Ok.  Basically I have added WIKI style player pages to the site.  Go to various sections and you should be able to create/update and modify the pages.  This should work like any regular Wiki and will be as up to date as you users keep it.  This should make it much easier to keep the site updated.

Any suggestions/bug reports on this feature can also go here.
Last edited by Dhruv on Sat May 19, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: HELP NEEDED TO UPDATE SITE

Postby BSharma » Sat May 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Dhruv wrote:Hi all,

Ok.  Basically I have added WIKI style player pages to the site.  Go to various sections and you should be able to create/update and modify the pages.  This should work like any regular Wiki and will be as up to date as you users keep it.  This should make it much easier to keep the site updated.

Any suggestions/bug reports on this feature can also go here.

Dhruv,

Would you like to have a particular format that should be used to write up information about the players?  For example, "personal information", "career highlights", etc.

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dhruv » Sat May 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Not at this time.  i guess over time a standard will evolve.  I think the first page should just have the player bio, career highlights etc Something like the Bjorkman page on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Bj%C3%B6rkman.  Any additional information such as future tournaments detailed tournament results can be held separately in linked files. 

Just a thought at this time but I guess this will evolve and feel free to experiment with what you think works best.

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dhruv » Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 pm

I see only suresh has tried his hand at this.  Thanks suresh.  I was hoping for a greater degree of involvement from the members.  If there are things I can do to make it easier let me know and I'll try to do it.

Cheers,

Dhruv

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby S_K_S » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Sorry Dhruv, it's been very busy at work. Will try it soon.

suresh

Postby suresh » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:19 am

Dhruv wrote:I see only suresh has tried his hand at this.  Thanks suresh.  I was hoping for a greater degree of involvement from the members.  If there are things I can do to make it easier let me know and I'll try to do it.

Not that suresh had done much either. I was hoping my lousy job would motivate others s to do better.

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dhruv » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Hmm sorry to beat on a dead horse but do people know they can all submit news to the front page.......

Basically we have tons of great material in the forums but seriously it is a bitch to get to at times......

Can people please use the front page publishing features to put stuff on the front pages.  That will allow people to both have discussions in the forums if they like as well as follow stuff like interviews in an easily accessible place.

The player pages thing I guess well.........

suresh

Postby suresh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 am

Dhruv,

I don't know how I can publish anything -- there is no link that I can find. Can you help me out? I tried to see if there was a way for me to publish my interview with Vishnu and gave up after some time.

Suresh

kujo
Authors
Authors

Postby kujo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:35 am

Once you login, you should see a link called "Manage Content" on the left hand side. Click on it to write articles for the first page and submit it. Someone (Dhruv, Jay, S_K_S, etc) should be able to publish it afterwards.

If you don't see such a link: Ask and ye shall be rewarded by Dhruv to be an "Author"! :)

cheers
-kujo

suresh

Postby suresh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:55 am

I don't see anything in the left panel that says "Manage content". However, I have discovered a link which says, "Submit news" which seems to give me a way to submit news items.

Kothai

Postby Kothai » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi Dhruv,

I tried to get to the Players page but I am getting only the following message

"The page you are trying to access does not exist.
Please select a page from the main menu."

I want to try create players page...

Thanks
Kothai

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dhruv » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 am

To create player pages (actually articles/pages that will populate a player section to be accurate) you will need to go to Manage content (or submit news) and then choose the section where the player belongs and then select the player if the player already exists.  If not then you will have to select other players in the interim and let me know the player section you want created.

e.g.

For a Karan Rastogi piece you would go

Manage Content
Then on the top where it says new (or should say new) and select section you will choose Tennis
This will bring to a page where you can enter an article/player page etc. In the category dropdown you will need to select Karan Rastogi and it will automatically go to Karan Rastogi's page once the article is approved.

For anyone who doesn't exist you will need to select other player......

There used to be a wiki type section as well but I believe I removed that since no-one was using it at all.  I can re-instate it if there is demand and people will use/update the pages.

suresh

Postby suresh » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Dear Dhruv,

I find that the entries in the left panel are not always the same. For instance, I don't always see the "Manage Content" or "Submit News" links. Could you please explain the logic behind this so that I can find the links?

I think the Wiki pages should come back -- I should be the last person to ask for it as I don't post stuff that often and in all probability, never use the Wiki pages :-)

Thanks.

Suresh

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dhruv » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 pm

You should always see the Manage Content link (last link on the main menu)  but yes the User Menu is not visible on the forums.

I can enable it on the forums as well.  As for the wiki need more than 1 person wanting it :-) but that should not be a problem.  Should be sorted by the weekend (menu i.e.)..

Kothai

Postby Kothai » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Dhruv,
Hi second Suresh..  :D
Hope we are getting the WIKI back

Return to “Announcements”