Interesting thing I found....

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jic
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Interesting thing I found....

Postby jic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

That's the difference between you and me, Jay. You think of things first before you make important decisions. I, on the other hand, gave up my Indian citizenship for Canadian mainly for travel convenience, and then wondered "Cripes, who do I cheer for now if Canada were to play India in DC?"

Regarding the Indian Constitution, my thought is that a few more controls might have helped, but I don't think a document can overcome the rotten public characters of politicians, law makers, executive and law enforcement. Indians are masters at finding loop holes, and I can't imagine document being water tight enough. You're right that nothing majorly bad happens in India compared to many other countries (although some might vigorously argue/disagree), but but my perspective is that it is a crying shame re. the people that most suffer from the bad character blanketing public administration (healthcare, education, water supply, safety of women/children/seniors). That can and must get better.

The idea of "competitive corruption" is an intriguing idea, and one that I have thought of. I presume you are referring to some sort of incentive compensation for public servants based on services rendered and targets achieved - non revenue related unlike the police forces in many NA divisions where officers' performance is evaluated based on tickets issued in various time periods.

Ultimately, you might be othe only one that i know tat made a decision about which passport to hold based on which team you want to cheer in DC! Lol!

Oh, and really sticks in my craw is the obsequiousness with which India has allowed/accepted a foreigner to be the de facto queen!!! Come one! If she had earned it by working her way up, fine! I don't blame her as much as i blame India's proclivity to worship deities in multiple aspects of life.

Btw, Ram, I'd love to do a survey of the younger group on this forum to see how many know what "2 annas" is! They might think Anna Kounikova and Anna Hazare! :D And, Omkara, at this stage if you are still in India, I think that indeed economic opportunities are better in India Tegan elsewhere. So the criteria to move might be something other than economic.

Atithee

Postby Atithee » Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Read this hard hitting article on Indian college education this morning.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/educat ... cle4683622.

Thoughts?

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby suresh » Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm

The link is not working. Can you update it? Is it this one An Indian education?

Atithee

Postby Atithee » Sun May 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Yes, it is. Interesting that it had many more comments when it was posted in the education section. Now there are only 11 showing.

kujo
Authors
Authors

Postby kujo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 am

On paper, China’s constitution is a remarkably liberal document, with protections for freedom of speech, assembly and the press. It affords all citizens the right to vote and stand for election. Article 5 makes quite clear that nobody — not even the Communist Party — can violate its tenets.

“No organization or individual may enjoy the privilege of being above the Constitution and the law,” it says.

Of course, these rights have always existed more in theory than in reality.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... cal-reform

That is a pretty strong article in the constitution. But ultimately, it is just a piece of paper. It will remain so, until these laws are strictly upheld....

kujo
Authors
Authors

Postby kujo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

The sportswriter who blogged his suicide
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/23/tech/web/ ... e-website/

He said he just decided 60 was old enough. His most productive years were behind him, he feared the infirmity of old age and simply wanted to go out at a time and in a manner of his own choosing.
"I didn't want to die," he wrote. "If I could have waved a magic wand and lived for 200 years, I would have. Unfortunately, that's not an option.
"Therefore, since death is inevitable, the better question is... do I want to live as long as humanly possible OR do I want to control the time and manner and circumstances of my death? That was my choice (and yours). I chose what was most appealing to me."
In the days afterward, some observers saw other factors, though.
Manley was twice divorced. He had no children, no nieces or nephews. His parents had both died: his mother in 2002, then his father in 2007. He had one sister and one brother and neither lived nearby or visited much.

Manley's efficiency index http://www.nba.com/statistics/efficiency.html is still being used in NBA.

Omkara

Postby Omkara » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:31 am

Almost 6 years ago, my wife was on board a submarine to film sub-surface warfare exercises at sea. After an accident killed 18 sub mariners a few weeks ago, she thought she would go back in time and write about what it was like to be in the company of submariners – men who may not flaunt the glamour of fighter pilots or commandos, but do no less confront death every time they sail out to sea

http://mayurica.blogspot.in/

Atithee

Postby Atithee » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you for the link Omkara. I also read the IAF blog that your wife wrote. She has a great job and I enjoyed her writing style. Very sad for the lost lives, nonetheless.

gbelday

Postby gbelday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Check out this inspirational basketball workout video. We should have our cricket superstars watch this :)

http://youtu.be/aYrmKlAR0g0

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Omkara wrote:Almost 6 years ago, my wife was on board a submarine to film sub-surface warfare exercises at sea. http://mayurica.blogspot.in/

That is a nice read, Sumanta. I visited a submarine in Mumbai docks a couple of years ago ( not sailing) & had thought how hard the life of those sailors would be not being able too see even sea , forget land. After the recent accident, my memories went back to that visit. It is a really difficult life & dangerous one too.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

Here is something interesting and may be surprising for some of you who think of India as a corrupt and dishonest place (not me; as I had always felt that India's problems come from a badly set up system of rules, laws and enforcement; and not from individuals' dishonesty).

The Reader's digest dropped 12 wallets each in 16 selected cities, to see how many would be returned. http://www.rd.com/slideshows/most-hones ... llet-test/ and http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/24/trave ... ?hpt=hp_c6

See the fraction of Wallets returned. Mumbai was the second most honest place out of those 16 cities. Well done, Mumbaikars!!!

Helsinki 11/12
Mumbai 9/12
Budapest 8/12
New York 8/12
Moscow 7/12
Amsterdam 7/12
Berlin 6/12
Ljubjana 6/12
London 5/12
Warsaw 5/12
Bucharest 4/12
Rio De Janeiro 4/12
Zurich 4/12
Prague 3/12
Madrid 2/12
Lisbon 1/12

Don't the numbers from London, Zurich, Madrid and Lisbon surprise you? Well, three of those countries are known to steal other countries' wealth over centuries, and one now "safe-keeps" it :)

Jay

ankit1407

Postby ankit1407 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am

Zurich is not the same it use to be, specially after the borders were opened, having said that Zurich is still by far a better city then the report suggests (too small a sample to judge). Madrid does not surprises that much. I remember in Barcelona few weeks back while visiting Camp Nou a guy in front of me dropped 100 Euro bill..I saw it and because of the crowd had to run few meters to catch him...he was so grateful as if i landed him a new job or something....He told me he was surprised it was returned, well i just said its your money, i saw you drop it so here you have it back...
Portugese are very nice people so am little surprised but then they are in such a mess who will return a 50 Euro in current economic crisis :)
Last edited by ankit1407 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gbelday

Postby gbelday » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Jay,
It also depends on where in Mumbai the wallet was dropped. It was near one of the slums, I am sure it would be returned. If you drop it next to the Ambanis, then kiss it good bye :)

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm

I am sure they had some decent method to find random places in the cities. But you're right; poorer people are often more honest in these things, as they know how much that money may mean to somebody. Near the Ambanis... well, yeah, it's gone! Jay

Sin Hombre

Postby Sin Hombre » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:01 pm

I can safely vouch that Zurich or Swiss people in general are the most likeliest of the places I have lived in to return your wallet. The only person who has lost a phone in my acquaintances (and there are enough who have) and not having gotten it back was myself.

Amsterdam/Holland is pretty decent as well as long as you stay out of the touristy parts. I actually lost my wallet a few months back here and had it returned.

Return to “General Chit Chat”