Junior Circuits Abroad for Indian Kids...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Junior Circuits Abroad for Indian Kids...

Postby arjun2761 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:34 am

The junior events are mostly for development purposes and the final results don't actually matter that much. Therefore, Vikash should be very pleased that he is among the best U-16s in the world despite this loss in the final. Hopefully, he'll gain inspiration and confidence from these results and continue his hard work...

gbelday

Postby gbelday » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:44 pm

I agree with arjun! Lots of positives from these two tournaments.

The finals was a 3 out of 5 sets if I am not mistaken.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:05 pm

True, these 2 weeks have really shown Vikash to be a far better player than he has shown in the past. At one point of time in the final too he seemed to be crushing his opponent but faltered later.

He is only ranked 302 in the ITF junior ranking. I think based on his game in past 2 weeks, he should be much higher. Hope early next year, he plays in higher level junior tournaments and raises his ranking enough to be able to play junior slams later in the year.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Good job by Vikash to make the final, but very disappointed at the manner of his loss. He seems to have caved into pressure when serving for the match and then had fitness issues in the final set.
He is clearly much better than his junior ranking suggests but needs to work on temperament and fitness.

It's also worth noting that Yuki won the under-18 Orange Bowl when he was the same age as Vikash is now, and Ramesh Krishnan and Leander Paes won the national singles (open) title at this age. The guy Ramesh beat in the national final, Joykumar Royappa, was then ranked 310 in the ATP list (and made R2 at Wimbledon the next year). I think LP beat Nandan Bal.

Varma

Postby Varma » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:58 am

Obviously a lot of potential in this kid. If he had come thing long at such a young age, there is no doubting in how much talent he already has. I do not give much importance to his caving in right at the finish line, because he has a lot of mental fortitude to win his QF and SF matches being a set down (in one of them) and both matches going all the way to the decider. It is pretty evident that he can hold his own in pressure situations. Handling situations such as the one he lost in the final can be taught to someone who already has a tougher mind set.

My biggest worry about this kid is how he will be handled from now on. I am sick and tired of having heard the rotten phrase of, "he has time on his side", time and time again! The right time is right now, and he needs to be treated like a national treasure. Coming from such a humble background and not having anyone to take care of him financially makes him the most vulnerable kid at this juncture. There is no point in comparing him with Yuki, Paes, and Krishnan. When you put this kid against those guys, each of them is born with a golden spoon, so to speak! If I were to compare him with anyone, it would be Sunil Kumar Sipaieya who was also a national champion at 16. This guy oozed talent like crazy. What happened to him later on is part of history. VIkash's family and financial background is a lot similar to that of Sunil's, so is his talent. For about a week or so, I am having hard time keeping my mind away from that comparison, and it scares me like hell. I was really hoping for Vikash to win this trophy since it would have elevated his profile immensely. People will praise talent but they will only remember the champions. Now that his scholarship is expiring, how is the next year looking for this kid? Where will he go? Who will fend for him? I would love to see Somdev lend a helping had to this talented young boy. Other than him, I will not trust any single guy in Indian Tennis to treat a precocious talent the way it should be. This is just a hunch, and a gut feel. I really pray that Vikash is valued for what he is worth and be taken care the way he should be.

- Varma

vatsal323

Postby vatsal323 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 am

Spot on Varmaji!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:29 am

Yes, agree, his situation is a bit like Sunil Kumar's, but from what I've seen so far, he has a much better support infrastructure, with funding support from the redoubtable Naresh Kumar, which has enabled him to stay and train in the US from a young age. He is already quite familiar with the US, to a much greater extent than Sunil Kumar was at a similar age.
But Vikash needs to be nurtured carefully from this point on, and hopefully Naresh Kumar and family are on the case.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:57 am

Varma wrote: Now that his scholarship is expiring, how is the next year looking for this kid? Where will he go? Who will fend for him? I would love to see Somdev lend a helping had to this talented young boy. Other than him, I will not trust any single guy in Indian Tennis to treat a precocious talent the way it should be. This is just a hunch, and a gut feel. I really pray that Vikash is valued for what he is worth and be taken care the way he should be.

The article which was put earlier in this thread mentioned that scholarship was for 11 month period and that was an old article from 2014. The fact that he is still continuing to train in US indicates that he is still getting funding most probably from Naresh Kumar as PKB suggested.

Hopefully, that will continue. But, you are right. Apart from funding, the kid will need a close watch to see if the things are moving in the right direction and if any changes are needed in coaching /training methods as he grows up in age and stature.

Mahesh is another one who comes to mind. Apparently, Sumit and Karman are under his wings although they too like others before may not be from such humble background as Vikash and may be able to self fund at least major part of training programmes.

Abish arul

Postby Abish arul » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:07 pm

vikash is under a scholarship from Junior Champions Foundation so no worries financially but my only worry is will he play outside the US to climb up the rankings u need to play outside the US

gbelday

Postby gbelday » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Varma has the right concerns. If not anything, I feel that Stan Smith will find a way to keep Vikash at his academy. Stan and his coaches love him over there. Mike Hyndman (one of the guys who works with Vikash almost everyday) kept saying that he has a "big sponsor" and they would like to see him through the pro ranks. Hopefully, that's all true. It's a bit surprising that Vikash lost though. He is a tough tough kid.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks, Gautam. I agree that if Vikash is one of the better students of that academy they would everything possible to keep him there. That and big sponsorship part in India looks good for him from long term perspective.

In short terms, his aim should be try to play junior slams next year. As Abish Arul, for that purpose he needs to get out of US and play tournaments as there are not many higher level tournaments in US in early part of the year. January grade 3 and grade 2 events in India would have been good but he is not in the entry list for first week in Chandigarh. So, he may not be coming here. Probably, he can go to series of grade 1 events in South America. Those are on clay though. I am not sure how good he is on that surface.

gbelday

Postby gbelday » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:33 pm

The academy students train 90% of the time on clay (hat-tru). They have about 8 hard courts that they lease from the resort. Not sure how much time Vikash spends on the hard courts though. He primarily trains on clay.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 am

Har-tru clay is quite a different animal than the red clay in S.America, but still it's clay...

vatsal323

Postby vatsal323 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Just had a brief chat with Vikash. He said he's going to play "a lot" of Grade-1's next year, coupled with a few Futures events too.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:52 pm

With 1998 boys and girls going out of juniors, these are our top 5 players now =

Boys
72 BANTHIA , Siddhant
104 KALYANPUR, Adil
83 SOMANI , Parikshit
200 SINHA, Nitin Kumar
206 SINGH, Vikash

Girls
32 DESAI, Zeel
70 JAIN, Mahak
77 YADAV, Mihika
91 YADLAPALLI, Pranjala
168 SURAPANENI, Nidhi

And this is the schedule for these players in next few weeks.

Jan. 2- Siddhanth,Parikshit and Makek, Mihika in Chandigarh grade 3
Jan. 9 - Siddhanth,Parikshit,Nitin and Zeel, Makek, Mihika in Delhi grade 2
Jan. 16- Parikshit, Nitin in Kolkata grade 3, Siddhant and Mahek, Pranjala in grade 1 in Australia, Vikash in grade 1 in Colombia
Jan. 23- Siddhant and Zeel, Mahek, Mihika at Australian open -Adil and Pranjala in qualies there, Vikash in grade 1 in Equador.

So, lots of opportunities for these kids to do well and raise their ranking.

Return to “Tennis Player Forums”