Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

SaniaFan

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Postby SaniaFan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:38 am

jayakris wrote:The "great man" should have retired when PKB asked him to
Did PKB not agree later that "'great man" did well to continue and in fact played some great knocks later?

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby PKBasu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 am

Yes! Many superb knocks after one very lean year. I'm glad he played for 24 years.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 am

Then my case is proven again. The majority vehemently disagreed with PKB then, right? I didn't follow the great man much at all (did he ever win anything that mattered to us? I can't remember, but last I checked was some 7-8 years ago)... so I didn't care either way :)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Yuki won't go much wrong if he follows everybody's advice here, though we're such annoying pests in giving armchair advice!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Hopefully Yuki is getting a wildcard into the qualifiers or main draw in Dubai. Otherwise it would have been wise for him to start playing the Asian Challengers this week or next.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 pm

PKB asked for it in 2005. In 2011, we won the world cup. Sachin scored 482 runs averaging over 50. In the semis against Pakistan, he scored 85 runs when we scored 260/9. Nobody else scored a 50 on the Indian side. Pakistan scored 231. The Indian bench was thin. I am sure whoever was the reserve bat, if he had played, we would not have won. So, he did contribute greatly to us winning the WC. He should have retired just after the WC though.

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Sin Hombre » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:17 pm

^^ context?

Tendulkar had great ODI knocks after a lean patch around 06-07(?).

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jayakris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Sin Hombre, I think prasen was answering my dig at the great man, on whether he ever did anything useful for us :)
prasen9 wrote:PKB asked for it in 2005. In 2011, we won the world cup. Sachin scored 482 runs averaging over 50. In the semis against Pakistan, he scored 85 runs when we scored 260/9. Nobody else scored a 50 on the Indian side. Pakistan scored 231.

Oh, that counts. So SRT did win something for us. I guess I didn't remember the WC details, and that he did well. Averaging 50 in a world cup that we won was itself a fully sufficient reason for him not to have retired when PKB asked. The majority opinion was right then, and even PKB agrees.

Sorry... I can't believe I hijacked a tennis thread to talk cricket. What's wrong with me?

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:24 am

Yes, I was answering Jay's comment. I had let it go the first time in the last page :-) And, you guys decided to change the title of that thread --- a tacit acknowledgement that that was the wrong call --- as far as I can recall, I did not ask for the heading change. But yes, the majority here did not think he should retire in 2005. PKB is an SRT fan. I wonder why he called for his retirement then. I think it may have been to keep Ganguly in the team with Yuvraj knocking on the door? So, a spot needed to be made? Jay, as "prayascitta", maybe you can try to excise the off-topic posts here and move it to the SRT thread or some other thread if you think it can be done. But, maybe since the reply was to whether Yuki reads the forum, we have to keep some of the posts here.

SaniaFan

Postby SaniaFan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:45 am

Sin Hombre wrote:Tendulkar had great ODI knocks after a lean patch around 06-07(?).

Not just one day but tests also. From the top of my head I recall a 103 not out in a fourth inning chase against England. And the second one was a 146 run master class against rampaging Dale Styen in Capetown considered by many as his top 3 test innings. That was his last test hundred as well.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:22 am

:Offtopic:
Since people seem to be going on about this, let me just say that I felt Sachin needed to take a break from the game at that stage (2005) because his test and ODI form was dismal, and his body was suffering. Retirement then would have been a bad idea, in retrospect, as longevity became one of the most impressive things about Sachin's career, he had a brilliant 2011 World Cup, and played many fine test innings once that lean patch ended (although he also had another relatively lean patch at the end of his career as he approached his hundredth international hundred). The first ever ODI 200 was a masterly knock too, and I had the honour of watching Sachin's penultimate test. Him being treated as a demigod who could never be rested/dropped on form is what I objected to, but I'm gladly he dug deep and pulled out of that slump to give us many more great years of glorious batting.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:40 am

As per Yuki's comment, his next tournament will be Chinese challenger.
‘’I am done with the Futures. I will be training in Delhi for the next 10 days. I plan to compete in three Challengers in China next month’’, said Yuki.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 pm

So Yuki seems to be taking a cautious approach, not playing too many weeks in succession. He will have a long break before the Zhuhai Challenger, which begins the week of 6th March. Hopefully, he will play in Shenzhen the following week (both cities in Guangdong province) and in Quanzhou (in neighbouring Fujian) the week of 20th March.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:27 pm

The real juice is in April (after the Davis Cup week), with Taipei (125K+H) on 17 April week, then Anning, PRC ($150K+H) the next week.
There are two big ones in Seoul and Busan thereafter, or Kashi and Samarkand (after one smaller one in Gimcheong, Korea in between that he might choose not to play, just for the value of the rest).

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes, he seems to be playing lesser number of weeks than as usual. If he was not playing in Dubai, I would have preferred him to be playing challengers in Japan in next 2 weeks and then take a week's break and then 2 weeks in China. But, he seems to be saving his PR for later tournaments.

He does indicate that he is going to play all 3 challengers in China. I guess he may use SE for first one or first two and either try to get a special exempt or go thru qualies for third ( or second too).

After the 3 China challengers, he has to get back to India for davis cup in early April. Then, he can go for few of those challengers in Taiwan, China, Korea and Uzbekistan and then French open qualies.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Article on Yuki with an interview by Sukhwant Basra.

Advantage Bhambri

Return to “Tennis Player Forums”