Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

cricketics

Re: Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

Postby cricketics » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Here's the latest on Mahesh Bhupathi. Just read on Robert Lindstedt's blog that he and Bhupathi will start playing together after US Open. Bangkok will be the first tournament they will participate as a team.

http://robertlindstedt.com/blog/

Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Tolamu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:04 am

Thank goodness! Finally some news of Hesh! Thanks Cricket(Tennis)ics.
He is pairing with Philipp Petzschner in US Open though unseeded.

kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby kaustav » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:52 am

Yes he is in the entry list of US Open with the German Philip Petzschner. It means his rankings would take blow because he was the finalist of Cincinnati Masters last year and lose points next week. Also he is not in the entry list of Winston Salem..So without match practice Hesh is going to play the US Open...

ankit1407

Postby ankit1407 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:54 am

I assume he is not bothered about his remaining playing days anymore, given his business and age I guess......would have been good if he just paired up with Purav to help him get into the slam...

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:56 am

cricketics wrote:Here's the latest on Mahesh Bhupathi. Just read on Robert Lindstedt's blog that he and Bhupathi will start playing together after US Open. Bangkok will be the first tournament they will participate as a team.

http://robertlindstedt.com/blog/

Good partner for the fall season but his ranking would be out of 10 probably if not some good performance at Flushing Medows...At least Lindstedt's and Hesh can form good partnership next year if they play well in the falls season. Also it means there will be no Hesh this year WTF London O2. :(

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:57 am

ankit1407 wrote:I assume he is not bothered about his remaining playing days anymore, given his business and age I guess......would have been good if he just paired up with Purav to help him get into the slam...

With some good performance in the fall season with Lindstedt he may continue next year..Who knows :)

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 am

Hesh and Lindstet are top seeds in the entry list of doubles for Bangkok ATP..All the best to them :)

vk2052

Postby vk2052 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 am

Olympics is only one year from now. Lee and rb are sure to play. Hesh will also extend his career by one year for the sake of oly. After lee won us open, hesh commented- something like this- what at 40. he was moving like a 20 year old. A very positive comment about lee. I hope these three dont create any confusion for oly 2014 and let lee play with rb and try his best to win a medal.

ankit1407

Postby ankit1407 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:10 am

Olympics are in 2016, and not 2014..

krinix

Postby krinix » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Got it confused with the Election next year! :rofl:

Its the biggest election Ever....

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:52 pm

vk2052 wrote:Olympics is only one year from now. Lee and rb are sure to play. Hesh will also extend his career by one year for the sake of oly. After lee won us open, hesh commented- something like this- what at 40. he was moving like a 20 year old. A very positive comment about lee. I hope these three dont create any confusion for oly 2014 and let lee play with rb and try his best to win a medal.

My friend you may have got the year wrong but the gist and the assumption is quite good..Me too believe that Leander's superlative effort in this years US Open had actually can inspire Hesh to change his heart..Because he is still younger than Leander and Nestor and can have a fine 1-2 years left in him if he can make up his mind...

Robert Lindstedt clearly mentioned in his blog that his partnership with Hesh is for the rest of the year..And my calculation is they are going t play at-least 4-5 tournaments including 2 TMS..Now interesting part is if these two fared well and lift at least one trophy with 2-3 solid wins in other tournaments, who knows they might go for 2014 partnership...

In one or two twites of Hesh clearly indicates a change in heart and Leander's effort may be inspired him for that...Rohan is not is in the same class of Hesh and Leander so not mentioning his name...

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Even if Mahesh plays the Olympics, that is irrelevant. He is not going to win a medal. I don't think LP and RB are going to win either.

kaustav

Postby kaustav » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Olympic is far far away...We are talking about rest of 2013 fall season including Asian hard court series and probable 2014 partners...

RohitG

Postby RohitG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Mahesh didn't quite have a great year this time. He has lot of business deals going on too. His fitness is the question. Forget the Olympics, can he last for 1-2 years more? Can he perform with that same intensity and get good quality results at the higher level? Only time will tell.
As far as Leander goes, I saw his dad on some news channel where he spoke about how Lee's gonna assess his own situation and condition during the off-season and then decide on how to move on. Leander has decreased the number of tournaments which he's playing already (this year was different due to the tough times for him and Radek) I am a Paes-fan and his win was a big boost to the morale. It's great for us fans to acknowledge how he's managed to do this at his age. Three things:
1) Dr Vece said that Leander is not generally as fit as his competitors who are younger than him , but he covers up for this by his competitive spirit and his "quick" game at the net.
2) Smart scheduling. I think Leander himself had said this after winning the AUS open that winning the slam is the best because you don't really have to slog or chase points and you're more or less into the top-8 in the Race to London rankings.
3) Good partner. The recent interviews of Paes/Stepanek during the US Open consolidate this fact. Leander mentions time and again on how Radek is probably the best partner he ever had. Leander does use a lot of good words, but Radek complements Leander on the court.
Can these factors repeat for our doubles players for Rio? They have to peak during that time too, they won't be getting chances throughout the year like the regular tour.
A lot can happen in the next 2 years before Rio. Things can even change in the next 1 year. We expect RB to be there but it's not gonna be easy. Whoever wants to qualify needs to perform at a high intensity and remain fit (RB's gonna be 35-36) Qualifying is not what we're interested in. It's the medal that matters. Plus in Rio, the colour of the medal will matter too. With the amount of politics shown last year and how our current setup is, it's hard to predict. All we can do as fans is hope for the best.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 am

Color of the medal? Perhaps in the standings equation. But, from a tennis perspective, even a bronze will be a huge over-achievement a la Leander's.

Return to “Tennis Player Forums”