Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Mahesh Bhupathi thread...

Postby arjun2761 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:17 pm

sameerph wrote:I am sure protected ranking can be used for Olympics if that is a tournament which gives ATP points like other tournaments. But, as I said above I am not sure how Mahesh is eligible for protected ranking good enough to enter these tournaments.

Not sure what you base this on. Olympics is not an ATP tournament has other criteria (such as Davis Cup/Fed Cup) participation which ATP tournaments do not have. FWIW, the source of all knowledge (i.e., Wikipedia :D ) lists the current singles qualifiersand I don't see anyone with a PR although that could indicate that no one has a PR within the top 86 or so who currently are in position to make it...

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:47 am

It is just a hunch from me and not based on definite information. So, I may be wrong in this case.

In any case, I don't think Mahesh's IPR ( whichever way it is achieved :-))will be good enough to get him an entry at Rio along with Rohan.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Mahesh and partner instead played with RamK and his partner who signed in as alternates due to withdrawal of the original pair.

At $50K+H St. Brieuc Challenger, France

[R1] (3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/ Jonathan Marray (GBR) d. Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND)/ Lorenzo Guistino (ITA) 75 62

Next,

[QF] (3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/ Jonathan Marray (GBR) vs. Tobias Kamke (GER) / Tristan-Samuel Weissborn (AUT)

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:44 am

They lose match against German-Austrian pair in match tie-break after winning the first set tie-break.

At $50K+H St. Brieuc Challenger, France

[QF] (3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/ Jonathan Marray (GBR) l Tobias Kamke (GER)/ Tristan-Samuel Weissborn (AUT) 76(2) 26 5-10

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:26 am

Didn't know where exactly to post this
AITA has firmly and formally shut the door on possible Bhupathi/Paes tie up as a wild card.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 009632.cms

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Nice long article on Mahesh in Indian express -

Mahesh Bhupati: The unquiet one

One good thing about him is he is having cordial relations with most of the young players. Hope he thru his contacts and now good equations with AITA is able to groom a top 100 player for India at the very least.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I doubt the contacts in AITA will help him nurture a top-100 player. The most important thing is to scout well and identify correctly real talents/rough diamonds early. Then, you provide them with training for several years. AITA does not have that much money anyway. And, whatever the AITA folks could raise, MB could do that directly. Maybe if some corporates want the AITA stamp for PR reasons, that may be what you can get done with your contacts. Anyway, good luck to him. I hope he does.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

I was thinking on the lines that one still needs government funding to bring up players in sports like Tennis. There is not much limelight until someone becomes at least a regular ATP/WTA level player - at least someone at the level of Sania Mirza. Corporates are not really queuing up to sponsor young talents when have to go thru a grind of futures/ challengers before they get to that level. If that was happening someone like Yuki ( who is undoubtedly our best tennis talent for a decade or more) would not be struggling for funds. So, for government funding the stamp of AITA is needed and in that context, his recent increase in clout with them would help.

Varma

Postby Varma » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I have zero hopes of Mahesh grooming the next best thing in Indian Tennis. His academy has been functioning for over a decade and has hardly done anything noticeable. I am not blaming him for not producing results, just saying that my expectations of him are zilch based on the reputation he had built in nurturing talent.

- Varma

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Also worth noting that developing a top 100 tennis player is quite tough as tennis is a widely played professional sport compared to the more regional (and amateur) sports. See China as an example, where their academy model have struggled as well in the top professional sports (tennis, soccer, basketball etc.) where they have had much less success than in the other less professional sports.

Overall, it seems our private tennis academies are identifying at least some talent (especially on the girls side) at the junior level. We seem to be lacking the support to transition the best identified junior talent to success in the seniors (with Yuki being the best example) although TNTA has done it's bit in this area (with RamK being the best example of their efforts). Perhaps, AITA (and Mahesh) can also provide assistance in helping with that transition although they will need to be able to raise money for that effort and I suspect it does not make sense for the government to spend too much money on tennis as the medal rewards are much lower than spending in less competitive events. On the other hand, the top tennis players do get a fair bit of coverage in the media, so perhaps the benefits to the national image are there in developing a top tennis player. For e.g., Kei Nishikori (a top 10 tennis player) is one of the biggest sports stars in Japan with far more fame than their many gold medalists in the more niche sports.

BTW, where does TNTA get its money (is it from the Chennai Open)?

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm

I think most of the money for TNTA comes from Chennai Open. There were articles earlier saying AITA asking a share of Chennai open money as a national organisation.

I agree that with years of big ATP events, China is yet to get a top 100 level mens player. But, we do have better legacy in mens tennis as compared to Chinese.So, some more spend and someone dedicated at helm like Gopi can help us do a lot better.

Perhaps Mahesh is not that guy with his style as some of you are suggesting. Probably someone like Somdev can do that better.

Return to “Tennis Player Forums”