Karshi / Samarkand Challengers May 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Karshi / Samarkand Challengers May 2017

Postby PKBasu » Thu May 11, 2017 8:50 am

Rajiv wrote:
Omkara wrote: 1st round loser in a GS earns way more than Challenger winner!

Presume you are referring to 1st round quali loser , because a 1st round loser in GS earns similar or slightly more than the Chennai Open Finalist.

This is the way it should be. The Slams are the pinnacle of the sport, and should have the best rewards. Our players need to focus on playing every Slam they can. Getting injured before a Slam is catastrophic from a financial standpoint.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 am

Fantastic win by Yuki. I was held up in meetings since morning and could not watch anything in this match. Great to see that Yuki has gradually worked his way in form in this challenger and hope that continues for next 2 matches.

I think Wilmbledon qualies usually has a lower cut off than French open. So, a ranking in 240's should be enough to make it in there. But, a win in next match will seal it for him.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am

So the other semifinal is set as well:

[SF] Yuki Bhambri (IND, 273) vs. Egor Gerasimov (BLR, 225)

Gerasimov won a Challenger (after qualifying in) in France in early-April, then won the Bukhara Futures and lost the final of the Karshi Futures. So he knows the conditions well, and is in good form. I doubt he can handle Yuki though!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 am

I do think he has almost secured his entry into the Wimbledon qualifiers. One more win here (or in Samarkand) will guarantee it. The way he was playing today would be ideal for grass (short points with many approaches to the net), although I don't know how confident he will be on the grass courts, having played very little on that surface in his career to date.

Omkara

Postby Omkara » Thu May 11, 2017 11:11 am

Rajiv wrote:

Presume you are referring to 1st round quali loser , because a 1st round loser in GS earns similar or slightly more than the Chennai Open Finalist.

Does a 1st round Qualifier loser win anything? I was referring to 1st Round of MD.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Omkara wrote:
Rajiv wrote:

Does a 1st round Qualifier loser win anything? I was referring to 1st Round of MD.

Yes, check below.
French Open increases prize money for 2017 event

The biggest increases have once again come in the early rounds, with those losing in first-round qualifying guaranteed £4,200 - a rise of more than 40 per cent in a year.
Players coming through three rounds of qualifying will earn £15,200, while those beaten in the first round proper will take home £29,600.

Total French Open 2017 prize money

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 am

Omkara wrote:
Rajiv wrote:

Yes of course at least 7to8kUSD to first round quali loser
Double that amount to R2 loser and finally 38k or there about to the MD R1 loser
That is why Ram missed out by just one spot at the AO qualies as there were so many players who were injured at the AO qualies but meerly just showed up to collect the 8k paycheck.

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 pm

PKBasu wrote:Yes, there were hardly any loose shots on his service games, apart from the two points he lost in the final game of the match (both shots that he hit out because of the tension of the moment, I think). The precision and power of his groundstrokes (generated from bending the knees and swivelling back on both flanks to unleash each stroke) was a treat to watch. I don't know why he doesn't play like this against everyone!!

I've wondered that sometimes as well. To be fair though, he has done pretty well at the challenger level when he has been fit over the last 2-3 years.
One other factor is that Yuki may not defend all that well. If he is dictating points with his ground strokes, he can generally win the match. However, if the other player can get Yuki moving then Yuki isn't as effective (perhaps what Donskoy did in the first China challenger SF this year) or gets tired (perhaps what Sugita did in the second China challenger SF this year)

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri May 12, 2017 12:08 am

Yes, spot on, I think. Yuki's is the front-runner problem (a la Sriram Singh, Montreal 1976). His game requires him to dominate, with a strong service return enabling him to control and win relatively short rallies. He isn't that good at the grinding game, generally required for clay courts. (Although Fognini showed this week against Nadal that it is possible to be aggressive on clay as well...). At a minimum, he needs his own service to not be dominated by the opponent for this approach to work. I think he has added just enough punch to his first serves for this to work against even the best Challenger players. But he will have more trouble at the next level.
Yuki should have played more clay court tennis in his younger formative years. Anyway his focus now has to be to get back to top-100 and then add the heft on service required to do better on the ATP tour proper.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 am

Yuki's SF is the second one on Centre Court (the first match begins at 11am local time, 11:30am IST), so should be around 1pm local time (1:30pm IST).

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Fri May 12, 2017 3:10 am

Prajnesh is 2 out, Yuki 3 out from next week's Samarkand Challenger with 2 SE spots to clear. Yuki and Cem Ilkel are in line for SE. A win today's match will get SE for Yuki.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 am

Of course, I would like Yuki to make the final here in Karshi, and then skip Samarkand -- rather than use the SE spot that will automatically become his. The temptation to play next week in Samarkand must be great, but he needs to resist it, because the main prize is to try and win a few rounds (and better still, qualify into the main draw) at Roland Garros.

Ironically, if he loses today (unlikely in my view), he will need to play in Samarkand to be sure of his Wimbledon qualifying spot. Of course, if he wins the title this week and next week, he will rise to 154 in the rankings, and will then have seedings in most of the hardcourt Challengers after Wimbledon. But I still don't think that is a risk worth taking (ie, playing Samarkand). Just win today, and better still win the title here, then arrive in Paris as soon as the courts there are available to practice on.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Fri May 12, 2017 4:30 am

Overall I agree with you. The only flip side is he would be going into French open without any matches on clay which otherwise he would get at Samarkand.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 am

One tournament on clay will hardly make too much difference, in my view. He should practice for a couple of days on the clay in Samarkand, and then get to Paris early.

As for today's match, the first semifinal has gone to the third set, so Cem Ilkel continues to surprise on the upside (and RamK's loss to him looks steadily more explicable now). Ilkel is a break up in the final set as well.

nitin28

Postby nitin28 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 am

Yuki's match started and he is already break down
*0-3, and he is broken again :oops:
gerasimov is running away with set, 30-0 in 5th game and holds at love
*0-5
bagel on cards, 0-30, 15-30, 2SP's, 1 SP, deuce, Ad-in, deuce
hold 1-5
Yuki first Serve 87% while gerasimov is at 45% still not able to win points..
lost first set 1-6

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”