South China Challengers 6th March - 20th March

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

South China Challengers 6th March - 20th March

Postby Rajiv » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 am

Customary at this time of the year 3 Challengers taking place in South China at Zhuhai , Shenzen and Quanzhou.
Entry List for the first two of them is out and Yuki with his protected rankings makes the Main draw in both of them

Vying for the main draw will be Pragnesh and Sriram Balaji in the qualies and the same line up appears in the second leg except that Saketh joins them in Shenzen . Yes Saketh finally appears with that Davis Cup spot looming but will have to go through the qualies to fight for a main draw spot in Shenzen

These 4 would possibly make the line up in the final challenger as well

PKBasu

Re: South China Challengers 6th March - 20th March

Postby PKBasu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am

Good to see Yuki using his PR in both Zhuhai and Shenzhen. The latter is a $75K+H tournament. Hopefully he won't need to use his PR after these two tournaments.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Yuki has 41 points to defend in the first week. So, he will have to go deep to maintain his ranking and try to go higher.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Rajiv wrote:Vying for the main draw will be Pragnesh and Sriram Balaji in the qualies and the same line up appears in the second leg except that Saketh joins them in Shenzen . Yes Saketh finally appears with that Davis Cup spot looming but will have to go through the qualies to fight for a main draw spot in Shenzen

These 4 would possibly make the line up in the final challenger as well

Prajnesh and Balaji are the top 2 acceptances for the India F4 at Bhilai with withdrawal deadline already over. So, they will be taken out from the alternates list of first week of China challengers. Lets see if they go for second week or continue in Indian futures series.

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:29 pm

sameerph wrote:Yuki has 41 points to defend in the first week. So, he will have to go deep to maintain his ranking and try to go higher.

I believe the 41 points is the points from both challengers which come off after the second challenger (as there must be a 2 week update for a masters event perhaps). My guess is that if Yuki goes deep in the first 2 weeks (i.e., plays 7-8 matches), he'll skip the 3rd week.

PKBasu

China Challengers, March 2017

Postby PKBasu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 pm

There are three Challengers in southern China this month, starting with Zhuhai ($50K) and Shenzhen ($75K) in Guangdong province, followed by Quanzhou in neighbouring Fujian.

In the first week, Yuki Bhambri is the only Indian playing singles-- using his PR to get into the main draw. Nobody has entered the qualifiers.
Doubles may have some Indian pairs.
Others will hopefully join Yuki in Shenzhen.

Omkara

Re: China Challengers, March 2017

Postby Omkara » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm

So we have to wake up early in the morning for these matches. Feels good to see Yuki play

bujilover

Re: China Challengers, March 2017

Postby bujilover » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Don't we have a thread for this already?

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Yes, I have merged this thread with the thread which Rajeev had created earlier.

As the Yuki is the only one who seems to be playing, I though this thread was redundant. But, now we had 2 threads for this. :D

Anyway, just saw that Ankita Raina is in the womens qualifying entry list of $60K ITF womens challenger at the same place. So, it would be worthwhile discussing her progress too in the same thread.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Ankita is playing qualies tomorrow in China.

At $60K ITF Women Zhuhai

[Q1] RAINA, Ankita (IND,289) vs. PIERI, Jessica (ITA,274)

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:55 am

Ankita lost in straights sets. :-(

At $60K ITF Women Zhuhai

[Q1] RAINA, Ankita (IND,289) l. PIERI, Jessica (ITA,274) 16 57

bujilover

Postby bujilover » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:30 am

Jeevan plays with Yuki in doubles :). I thought he would be in US playing IW and Miami though.

Yuki plays Australian Blake Mott who received a Special exemption for last week's performance (SF at Yokohama CH).

Also, I don't understand what Ankita is trying to do playing these tough CH tournaments. She really have to mix her schedule with tougher Futures and Challengers instead of entering just challengers. I see her entered in the Egypt ITFs 2 weeks from now. It would be great if she goes there and wins some matches. Even Sharm El Sheikh is getting a lot of tough players these days, as evident from the fact that Kyra is playing in the Qualifying draw.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:34 pm

bujilover wrote:Jeevan plays with Yuki in doubles :). I thought he would be in US playing IW and Miami though.

He would not get in. The IW early entry cut for doubles is around 60. Even DiPu and Leander won't get in.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Tough match for Yuki first up against a 20 year old Aussie who qualified in to the AO main draw this year. He beat Brydan Klein in the QF last week in Yokohama, before losing to top seeded Sugita in the SF. Yuki will need to be at his best to win this, but I think he is indeed in good nick and won't disappoint us!

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Tough draw for Yuki in singles, with Blaz Kavcic waiting in R2 and Duckhee Lee in the QF. But first is the R1 challenge.
Doubles is easier, with a Chinese wild card pair first up, and then the Chinese third seeds (Ze Zhang and Mao-Xin Gang) in the QF. Doubles SF at least seems likely.

But I am hungry for singles success. Go Yuki!

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”