South China Challengers 6th March - 20th March

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: South China Challengers 6th March - 20th March

Postby prashanthm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Good start to the day for Yuki with a gritty win, but an expected loss without much fight later in the day...

If I remember right, he had a similar situation couple of years ago at the Taiwan challenger with a hard fought win against Sock earlier in the day, but ended up with a loss to Lu in the Final later in the day...

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby VReddy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Rajiv wrote:I doubt Yuki can win this match , fatigue is written all over in this match which he is playing,and as I write he is broken in the second set.
Fitness has always been Yuki's Achilles heel and today it is very much on display.

Does Yuki have a trainer traveling along with him now? I remember in 2015 he did and Yuki had indeed attributed lot of his success towards that back then.

I really hope we haven't regressed here especially as I see he is more closer to the likes of MB, TNTA and so on (the only people who do seem to do something for the upcoming talent) atleast visibly than it was ever before

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm

prashanthm wrote:Good start to the day for Yuki with a gritty win, but an expected loss without much fight later in the day...

If I remember right, he had a similar situation couple of years ago at the Taiwan challenger with a hard fought win against Sock earlier in the day, but ended up with a loss to Lu in the Final later in the day...

It is physically very hard to play two different matches on the same day -- especially if the first match is a humdinger (as on both the occasions mentioned above). Very few people can do it -- and Leander's heroics at Wimbledon in 1999 (when he often had to play 2-3 matches in one day) are really exceptional (albeit a bit easier since they were mainly doubles and MxD, with less workload than singles). So I wouldn't be too hard on Yuki. I don't think he can afford to have a trainer travel with him yet; once he is closer to top-100, I'm sure he'll bolster his team. Sad chicken or egg choices.

VReddy

Postby VReddy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:33 pm

PKBasu wrote: I don't think he can afford to have a trainer travel with him yet; once he is closer to top-100, I'm sure he'll bolster his team. Sad chicken or egg choices.

But he did have a traveling trainer back in 2015 (and from 2013 if we follow his interviews) - Article

The gamble of hiring a travelling trainer has paid off for Yuki Bhambri as he cracked the top-100 with consistent performances and the youngster is now ready to make more investment by adding a travelling coach to his support staff.

Hiring Nasir Ahmad, his trainer, meant that Yuki’s budget shot up to 50 lakh from 30 lakh in the 2015 season and adding a coach means that it will be at least Rs. 1 crore next year.

“It is not a coincidence that I have remained injury free and playing better. It was a gamble, pooling in resources for a travelling trainer at the end of 2013. But thankfully it paid off,” Yuki, who is now ranked 89, told PTI in an interview.

“It took me two years to know how my body functions with the help of a trainer. He helps me in massages, stretches, hydrating, eating right food at right time and gym training.

It has made my life easier. Most of credit of my success goes to Nasir. I was doing well when I was traveling without him but injuries were still happening.”

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Time to sign him up again!

Yuki looks like he has the back court game to hang with the top 100 if he can match them for fitness. For example, he could have beaten Sugita had he had the same fitness as his opponent. Unfortunately, Yuki does not get too many free points from his serve as he wins his service games mostly from the back court, so its imperative for him to get his fitness (and recovery) in shape to progress further.

The way he looked in his final 2 matches in Shenzhen, I expected him to go out early in the 3rd week, so full credit to him to get 2 wins and make the trip worthwhile. Playing back-to-back matches on one day was too tough but he could have lost anyway based on where he was fitness wise after his 11th match in 3 weeks. I don't think too many players play 11 matches in 2.5 weeks as the top players who generally go deep in tournaments typically schedule a reasonable number of breaks.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Spot on, Arjun. If we take this 3 week series in China, the only player apart from Yuki who has played 11 matches in 3 weeks is Italian Thomas Fabbiano who made the final in first week, QF last week and has now made SF this week. Sugita who won the title last week lost in the first round this week, the same thing which happened to Donksoy last week.

So, I would not blame Yuki at all for losing in QF this week. He spent a lot of energy in first week and early part of second week. He looked visibly tired from QF onwards last week. Good from him that he still managed to beat 3 players ranked in top 150 after that ( Merterer last week and Ito/ Kavcic this week).

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes, the trainer helped him a lot in 2015, but the tennis elbow was not anything a trainer could do much about. The six months of inactivity also hurt his financial position, but he should gradually be in better shape to re-hire the trainer. Qualifying for a Slam main draw would help a lot. Chicken and egg...

Varma

Postby Varma » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:51 pm

While it is ideal to have a trainer that can help Yuki with his recovery, isn't building endurance relatively easier to achieve without a trainer? Pardon my ignorance, but if you break things down to a wish list, wouldn't endurance be something that can be worked on by Yuki himself? With so much of knowledge base readily available, can't he consult someone to setup a workout regimen and stick to it himself to achieve it? Just asking since it seems to be the next logical step to take (given that he is low on financial resources).

- Varma

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 am

Absolutely, having a good recovery protocol is a complement to better fitness and endurance which can be worked on in the offseason and during off weeks. However, most elite athletes do both. It's not a question one or the other for the elite athletes. See the video of Jack Sock's training and the emphasis of his team on recovery even when building on his fitness. All professional teams in the US, for example, have the trifecta of fitness, recovery, and nutrition emphasized in addition to the skill development work.

During really physical events at the top levels, the wear and tear of the body is pretty significant (muscle fibers are physically damaged) and good recovery routine (including recovery exercises/massage/stretching, ice, and appropriate protein rich nutrition during the peak recovery time) is very essential to getting back to full or near full fitness in a short time like you have on tour. Perhaps, a family member traveling with him could do many of these things, if a trainer is too expensive, but it's probably hard for someone like Yuki to do everything right just after a draining match (and the first 30 mins after intense exertion is most critical to recovery).

Of course, if you are one-and-out or play a couple of matches, the extended rest facilitates the recovery but if someone plays on a daily basis then recovery is very helpful or the body isn't able to perform optimally as you could see visibly in Yuki's last 4-5 matches. In the US, baseball pitchers always take specified rest between starts largely to facilitate full recovery.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 am

In meantime, Jeevan-Chris lost in the semis against top-seed pair.

Doubles
[SF] (4) Christopher Rungkat (INA)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) l (1) Andre Begemann (GER)/ Aliaksandr Bury (BLR) 36 46

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”