Davis Cup 2017 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Davis Cup 2017 - India

Postby Atithee » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 pm

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby prasen9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 pm

The link did not work for me. But, I found the article. I was disappointed. However, maybe I should not have looked for a real debate on the merits of his achievements. Because LP is possibly the best we have had since LP started playing Davis Cup. The article is all about politics and who said and did what and treated whom how. I'm not interested in digging more about that. There are people who are eccentric, who are egotistic, etc. LP is possibly one of them. But that debate is not interesting to me.

[I fixed the link above - Mod, Jay]

[I added another link above - Mod, Jaydeep]

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Full list of promoted teams:

India, Kazakhstan, Hungary, Netherlands, Belarus, Portugal, Brazil, Colombia

I am really hoping we creep into that 8th seed, because there are some beatable teams here. Certainly looks much tamer than the R1 losers.

VReddy

Postby VReddy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:32 pm

On a personal level, keeping fingers crossed for an India Vs Switzerland match! :D :p

Varma

Postby Varma » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:48 am

VReddy wrote:On a personal level, keeping fingers crossed for an India Vs Switzerland match! :D :p

That wouldn't be a bad thing, actually. Federer won't play, anyway. There might be a good chance of Wawrinka not playing too. Without these two stars, we can certainly fancy our chances against the Swiss.

@Vishnu: You may get lucky enough to personally witness an awesome win in an "away" tie :)

- Varma

bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby bujilover » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 am

Varma wrote:That wouldn't be a bad thing, actually. Federer won't play, anyway. There might be a good chance of Wawrinka not playing too. Without these two stars, we can certainly fancy our chances against the Swiss.

@Vishnu: You may get lucky enough to personally witness an awesome win in an "away" tie :)

- Varma

Nope! Henri Laaksonen and Marco Chiudinelli can still beat anyone from our team given the home advantage. They are decent Challenger level players.

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 am

Mahesh really appears as a toxic and vengeful person
In spite this win he has set the tone for the future ties , than nobody can take the spot for granted , which means we will see more of this toxic saga of the past 4 weeks being repeated in a more aggressive way.

3 singles players formula is own creation so that he can manipulate this formula to make sure he can leave out one guy in doubles like LP and push and bulldoze his favourites like Pragnesh and co. for singles.

For almost over a decade Vijay & Anand single handedly played singles and doubles and in those days , there were no tie breaks , with many a game scores going to 16-18 , 26-24 , but they withstood all of this and both of them played on all the 3 days ,
And even today at crucial times many nation's go in with 2 players for singles and 2 for doubles or even only 2 for the entire tie
Need we remind Mahesh , how many ties , only him and LP have played , the entire ties , playing singles as well as doubles , so what is this 3 singles players formula he is trying to push down the throat

And all these manoeuvrings done under the guise of discipline , and we know how disciplined Mr Bhupathi was in his playing days , the less said the better.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:59 am

Forget about this. Their shenanigans need not be glorified with further discussion. Just craziness! Let's all say, "whatever!" And, wait for the next opponent.

suresh

Postby suresh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:52 am

prasen9 wrote:Forget about this. Their shenanigans need not be glorified with further discussion. Just craziness! Let's all say, "whatever!" And, wait for the next opponent.

I agree. In any case, we are not good enough to make it to the world group with the current level of all our players. It is going to be a while before we get a couple of players in the top 100 and then we can consider things more seriously. Right now, it is good to see our younger players pick up Davis Cup experience.

Omkara

Postby Omkara » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 am

Let's ignore mahesh and lee and others in this spat that started some 15 years ago.

And focus only on tennis.

Great Davis Cup encounter. Prajnesh and Bala have done great. On to next tie.

VReddy

Postby VReddy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:25 am

bujilover wrote:
Varma wrote:That wouldn't be a bad thing, actually. Federer won't play, anyway. There might be a good chance of Wawrinka not playing too. Without these two stars, we can certainly fancy our chances against the Swiss.

- Varma

Nope! Henri Laaksonen and Marco Chiudinelli can still beat anyone from our team given the home advantage. They are decent Challenger level players.

Too early but I fancy Yuki, Saki (if fully fit and back in form) and Ram's chances against Marco. With Henri, Yuki should have a good chance. Too early to talk anyway - waiting for tomorrow's draw :)

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am

Davis Cup Twitter today shows India as NOT seeded, and drawn to meet one of the tougher group.

Florian Buechting

Postby Florian Buechting » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 am

Don't have too much of a chance of being seeded, unfortunately... We are just tenth in the current rankings of all playoff countries (if the DC website is right...). Playoff countries in front of us in ranking order - I enclosed home or away tie information)

1. Argentina (world ranking #1, away)
2. Croatia (#5, away)
3. Switzerland (#6, away)
4. Czech Rep (#9, away)
5. Germany (#13, away)
6. Japan (#14, HOME)
7. Russia (#15, HOME)
8. Canada (#16, decided by lot?)
---
9. Kazakhstan (#17, Home)
10. INDIA (#18)

Home / away on the remaining - quite a lot of new opponents in this list...
Brazil (away)
Belarus (decided by lot)
Columbia (decided by lot)
Hungary (decided by lot)
Netherlands (home)
Portugal (decided by lot)

Just writing this one, I saw that ITF did the seeding exactly like expected...

Based on those ones, I would definitely love JAPAN at a nice hot and humid ground :) Quite a bunch of away ties, unfortunately...

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby sameerph » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes, Japan at home seems to be the only match where we will have some chance. But knowing our luck in last 3 years we are likely to draw Argentina away. :-(

Florian Buechting

Postby Florian Buechting » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:12 pm

sameerph wrote:Yes, Japan at home seems to be the only match where we will have some chance. But knowing our luck in last 3 years we are likely to draw Argentina away. :-(

Yeah, absolutely, my thought as well :) Four ties would be in my close proximity... I will definitely think about travelling to a home tie against Japan... And Canada might be cool even if on away soil... So it must be Argentina! :)

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”