Davis Cup 2017 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sahil123
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Davis Cup 2017 - India

Postby Sahil123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:02 pm

If my understanding of rankings rules are correct, then we will be at a net total of 2327.5 but still behind Germany. Meanwhile the tie ended 4-1 as Ramkumar won while Prajnesh lost 5-7 3-6.

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby prasen9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:29 pm

So, as we see, the probability of our top two getting injured is low. At least, it did not happen in this case. So, the only question is whether they would have been tired if they had to play five sets. The answer to that is choosing fit players.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 pm

No captain would have been able to convince someone like Paes, with such a rich Davis Cup record, to sit out. It was no wonder that Mahesh failed, even though there is no doubt that he is the biggest fan of Paes.
from Kamesh Srinivasan's article snippet posted above. If Kamesh truly believes that Mahesh is the biggest fan of Paes, then all we should conclude is that Kamesh is a big fan of MB. Which implies the rest of what he says with a grain of salt.

For example, the choice of Bengaluru may have been a very shrewd choice. But, I think it was simply MB wanting to play at RB and his "home" city. I know MB is Telugu-speaking and spent a bunch of time in the gulf.

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Sahil123 wrote:If my understanding of rankings rules are correct, then we will be at a net total of 2327.5 but still behind Germany.

How did you calculate ? A brief explanation will be useful.

Sahil123

Postby Sahil123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:24 pm

25% of points earned in 14 + 50% of the points earned in 2015 + 75% of the points earned in 16 + full points from the two ties of 2017. Ex, for calculating points from Nz tie of 2015 ,600 for rubber win, 150 as it was away ,50 bonus points as nz was in 17-32 range. Now take half of the points earned as it was in 15 ,400 instead of 800. However, I am still doubtful on one aspect. Germany last won wg playoff in September. Whether full points will be awarded as the tie has not completed an year or 3/4th as it was in previous year calendar is still unclear.

Varma

Postby Varma » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:52 pm

prasen9 wrote:
I know MB is Telugu-speaking and spent a bunch of time in the gulf.

Mahesh's dad is Telugu and his mom is a Malayalee. I am not sure if he speaks Telugu.

- Varma

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Postby sameerph » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Sahil123 wrote:25% of points earned in 14 + 50% of the points earned in 2015 + 75% of the points earned in 16 + full points from the two ties of 2017. Ex, for calculating points from Nz tie of 2015 ,600 for rubber win, 150 as it was away ,50 bonus points as nz was in 17-32 range. Now take half of the points earned as it was in 15 ,400 instead of 800. However, I am still doubtful on one aspect. Germany last won wg playoff in September. Whether full points will be awarded as the tie has not completed an year or 3/4th as it was in previous year calendar is still unclear.

Thanks. I think those of Germany's points which were earned in last September will be downgraded only in September. I think you are right. Unless someone is dropping large points from those ahead, it is likely that we will be ranked just outside the seedings for world group play off.

Florian Buechting

Postby Florian Buechting » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Well done weekend... And new captain, same problems unfortunately. Very hard to find a neutral coverage of what happenend - but if Mahesh really defined any criteria how to select players before, no matter what it is, it is the dumbest thing a coach or captain can do. I saw that in (team) sports that often, from low-level hobby league to professionals. No matter if it is on "short-term form" or in hobby leagues "I select the players who come to training most frequently"... As a coach, there are moments where you want to change your mind from that... and the players just take for granted what you said before (especially the ones which are de-selected or downgraded in a certain way, of course :D ). I just hope that Leander is somehow wrong aka lieeing - stating on Facebook that somebody published quotes from WhatsApp chats between Mahesh and him... That would just mean we just have another captain who will not change the real problems of the Davis Cup team and the federation behind it... No matter that I support Leander, Mahesh is of course a very honourable person of Indian tennis... and as Leander is the "bad guy" already anyway, I feel that Hesh risks to lose much more reputation that other parties in this weird game...

Now, let's hope for a nice draw (and a good team in the seldom and unfortunate event that we get one). I still would like to see all of you guys in my home country in September - the way Germany lost against Belgium gives a chance to any of the teams in the pool, if you fight with the right spirit... Let's see what is happening... There are some cool match-ups in the bowl... Switzerland, Canada or Japan could be nice match-ups...

Take care and let's cross our fingers that people at some time learn to talk with each other instead of about... :puke:

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Varma wrote:
prasen9 wrote:
I know MB is Telugu-speaking and spent a bunch of time in the gulf.

Mahesh's dad is Telugu and his mom is a Malayalee. I am not sure if he speaks Telugu.

- Varma
I don't know it either. I just read it on the web sometime ago that his "mother-tongue" is Telugu. Since his mother is not Telugu, I thought that meant he spoke Telugu. But, of course, what we read on the web is not always accurate. So, I don't know what languages he can speak beyond English.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:56 pm

And drama's 'n'th part has begin ......

Mahesh shared WhatsApp discussion
ImageImage

Leander Paes replied -
In response to the speculation in the media on account of the leaked WhatsApp conversation between Mahesh Bhupathi and me, I have the following assertions:
1. The main criteria for selection was form. That's clearly mentioned in the exchange. This was not followed when it came to final selection.
2. I was never categorically told that I would not be playing. But it was apparent that the decision was made before I arrived in Bengaluru. This is what I found unnecessary and disrespectful.
3. That a private exchange has been made public just points to the kind of conduct that I find unbecoming of a Davis Cup Captain.
I urge the media to examine the conversation dispassionately. I didn't say anything contrary in my interaction with the press on Thursday.
As for the long post on social media by Mahesh belittling my contribution to Davis Cup, I can give a detailed rebuttal pointing out just how one-sided and convoluted his arguments are. I may do so in the near future but as far as the fans out there are concerned, they just have to examine who won what for our country when representing the flag. Talk is cheap, history books, however, don't lie.

bujilover

Postby bujilover » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:25 pm

Wow! This is lowly of whoever is involved in sharing the private chats. Frankly, this is all too much drama for a team that's capable of winning matches at the Asia Oceania Level.

S_K_S

Postby S_K_S » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Seriously have had enough of this ****!

Florian Buechting

Postby Florian Buechting » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:11 pm

bujilover wrote:Wow! This is lowly of whoever is involved in sharing the private chats. Frankly, this is all too much drama for a team that's capable of winning matches at the Asia Oceania Level.

To me, this is even worse than I expected... Hard for Mahesh to get out of this one... You could either say it is a fake or somebody stole his mobile... But apart from that, this is just all too bad :(

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Regardless of content, posting private conversations in public is a low class move. Ugh.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't really want to go into who said what when, whatapp quotes, etc. But, what did Mahesh write about Leander's contribution in Davis Cup? It is certainly more than that of his or that of any other player who came after LP, I think. But, before I critique him, maybe I should read what he wrote. Any pointers? That (LP's contributions) can be debated.

Return to “Tennis Tournaments”