ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

SaniaFan

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Postby SaniaFan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:02 am

I think what this report suggests is that there was no attempt to make the balls faster. It seems to suggest that it was only the perception of the players.

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby Prashant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Sin Hombre wrote:Balls were made faster in 2011
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240 ... 0613199152

Your article suggests the opposite - that in blind tests there was zero difference in the ball speed with the new balls introduced in 2011.

If we're doing this dissection - another factor is the Babolat hybrid strings which if I remember right, became available early in Nadal's career. Nadal puts more spin on the ball than any player in history (this has been measured often). But, those strings vastly increased the amount of spin that can be applied with the same shot, and all those measurements of Nadal's spin have only been made with the new strings. We have no way of knowing how well any of the spin heavy stars of the past would have done with them. Imagine a Thomas Muster (someone with similar exaggerated spin mechanics to Nadal) getting the benefit of those strings. Or Gustavo Kuerten or Lleyton Hewitt. Who knows how much better they would have appeared. Even Lendl would probably have won more GS with that equipment than the volley artists he often lost to.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Yep, all of the above-mentioned would have won more titles than Federer.

Prashant

Postby Prashant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm

prasen9 wrote:Yep, all of the above-mentioned would have won more titles than Federer.

No doubt. I mean, even you & I would have taken a couple of odd titles here & there.

prasen9

Postby prasen9 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes. More power to you! I want the magic racquet! :p

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Postby Kumar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 am

Some old article on a related topic
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/conspiracy-string-theory-how-new-technology-killed-american-mens-tennis

I had been wondering where are the young guns! Last person to win his girst grandslam before 24 is Del Potro 2009
this matters. A lot. All tennis players struggle hitting high balls. Just ask Roger Federer when hitting a backhand off a Nadal crosscourt forehand. However, the higher contact point is particularly challenging for teenagers. In addition to not being fully grown, teens lack the developed shoulder and back muscles needed to get the racket through the elevated hitting zone with enough force to counteract the upward bouncing ball—especially a Luxilon-spun ball that many players describe as "heavy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/sports/tennis/young-tennis-players-struggle-to-break-through-on-pro-tours.html?_r=0

Varma

Postby Varma » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 am

wow...it took Federer and Nadal play a final to end your hiatus :p ? Good to see you back, Kumar! You should post more often. I miss many of the old timers. You, Ashish, Arun et al. Wonder how they are all doing!

- Varma

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:43 pm

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby S_K_S » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 am

Amazing end to the GB Davis Cup tie. 17 yo Shapovalov gets defaulted after accidentally whacking the umpire in the face with a ball when trying to hit it into the crowd in frustration. He was 2 sets a and a break down but still a dramatic finish. Thankfully the umpire is okay.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 am

Nice interview with Vijay.
Federer can indeed pull off almost anything, but now he has inspired his great rival Nadal too, and the latter is five years younger. Tennis is the richer for it.

S_K_S

Postby S_K_S » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am

Was this the best Federer vs Nadal match?
I will definitely put this at the top but the Wimbledon final in 2008 comes a close second. That was honestly quite spectacular. I was there and I truly got to witness magic.

This match wasn't worthy of even tying the shoe laces of 2008.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:25 pm

S_K_S wrote:Amazing end to the GB Davis Cup tie. 17 yo Shapovalov gets defaulted after accidentally whacking the umpire in the face with a ball when trying to hit it into the crowd in frustration. He was 2 sets a and a break down but still a dramatic finish. Thankfully the umpire is okay.

Lucky escape for umpire Arnaud Gabas.

You can watch the video in below link.
Davis Cup drama as Canada's Denis Shapovalov is defaulted for smashing ball into umpire's face to hand Great Britain win

S_K_S

Postby S_K_S » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I know how he feels. A few months back I went to volley what I thought was an easy put away and took my eye off the ball. Next thing I know it catches the frame and whacks me full in the eye. I was a scary few days worrying if it had done permanent damage. The force with which the umpire got hit is awful. Hoping he gets away with no damage.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:16 pm

S_K_S wrote:
Was this the best Federer vs Nadal match?
I will definitely put this at the top but the Wimbledon final in 2008 comes a close second. That was honestly quite spectacular. I was there and I truly got to witness magic.

This match wasn't worthy of even tying the shoe laces of 2008.

I watched both matches, and agree wholeheartedly with Vijay. The 2017 Australian Open final was truly spectacular, and the fifth set was one of the greatest sets of tennis ever played.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:22 pm

S_K_S wrote:Amazing end to the GB Davis Cup tie. 17 yo Shapovalov gets defaulted after accidentally whacking the umpire in the face with a ball when trying to hit it into the crowd in frustration. He was 2 sets a and a break down but still a dramatic finish. Thankfully the umpire is okay.

What an idiot this kid is. Why was he playing ahead of Polansky? (Was the latter injured?).
Raonic failing to play is a pretty poor show. Perhaps this round is played too close to the end of the AO. Switzerland without their #1 and 2 were a pretty sorry spectacle as well.

Return to “General Tennis Discussion”