Hockey World League (Men's and Women's)

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Hockey World League (Men's and Women's)

Postby sameerph » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:35 pm

GBR pulled one back with 8 mins to go. We are leading 2-1 now.

And we just hold on to win 2-1 and move to SF. :bounce:

ssp

Postby ssp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:59 pm

That's a very pleasant result. Always like to beat GB/England. :bounce:
I think we have exceeded expectations, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, just 1 good performance can get you 4th place in this format.
So we meet winners of the Argentina/Belgium match. Can we put in one more great performance? This will give us valuable ranking points

kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Postby kaustav » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Congrats to India...Need another discipline performance like today...

Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Postby Tolamu » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Thank God! SSP doesn't jinx our team this time. :D

ssp

Postby ssp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Thank God! SSP doesn't jinx our team this time. :D

I'll take full credit for this win because I didn't watch the game! ;) This tactic works more often than not.

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Fantastic result for India!! Making SF in HWL finals and beating GB in a tournament that counts is a very good performance by India.

We seem to be very efficient at converting PCs. However, we seem to be getting very few PCs and conceding a very large number ourselves. Perhaps, one area of offensive improvement would be for our forwards to start aggressively looking for an opponent foot rather than the goal. Conversely, our defensive sloths should be coached to stay out of our own D. This are seemingly coachable changes and should help the team improve further by next year.

Good luck (and no watching for SSP) for the SFs!!

ssp

Postby ssp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:21 pm

We are still giving away far too many PCs and not winning anywhere enough. This is due the panic from the sloths (and other defenders), lazy defending (not getting low enough) and utterly maddening stuff from the likes of Akashdeep, Talwinder ec at the other end. I don't know how we can fix these problems with the players we have selected.

I'll be staying well away from the semi. Let's hope this works! ;)

gautam

Postby gautam » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:38 pm

I do not agree with the criticism against our forward lines. Though the forwards have been guilty on many occasions (prior matches) of not creating enough chances but against GB, our forwards did a commendable job. For me the stand out performer among the forwards without a doubt was Amir Khan who created havoc for the opponents with his speed and skill and managed to earn a penalty corner which was converted into a goal. The forwards created many opportunities, however India was unlucky on many occasions with the ball hitting the goal bar twice. With continuous pressure from India, the team was finally rewarded through a great goal by Talwinder who showed calmness to slot the ball home from an acute angle after beating the goalkeeper and two defenders.

Inconsistency has been a major issue with the mid-field with none of the players standing out. The mid-field on most occasions were guilty of many mis-passes which resulted in counter- attacks by GB. Sardar needs to rise up to the occasion and needs to control the team in such pressure matches. In the last three minutes of the game with India leading 2-1, the team went for an all out attack with few men at the back which resulted in a short corner for GB, though India was lucky to save and come out as winners however, we still need to work on not conceding in the last quarter. Also India needs to improve it counter-attack play, India should have done better with counter-attack and should have created more opportunities however the players end up losing possession.

I am glad with the progress the Indian team has made over the last few years. Earlier we weren't even competitive with European and other team but this time around except the game against Argentina, we have displayed good hockey and have been competitive against top teams which is a good sign. The next step would be to maintain the consistently and beat team ranked from 4 and downwards on regular basis. As far as SSP's point against the current crop of players goes, I do not agree with his statement. If you look at the forward line i.e. Akashdeep and Talwinder are 21 while Ramandeep and Amir Khan are 22. These guys are young and will only get better with time. We need to believe in this crop and give them time. Akashdeep and Amir have the potential of making it big in world hockey, just need patience with these players.

India now plays Belgium, who has been in good form recently and have got the better of India in major tournaments. Belgium is still not at the level of Australia or Dutch hence look beatable. India needs to carry on the form and improve on the short-comings and there is no reason why we cannot enter the final. Good luck to Sardar and co.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:01 am

Very nice to see us beating the world #5 team Britain to make the SF of this tournament. There is a lot of hockey being played these days, and it is very good to have India in the mix among the top teams in the world -- after a long hiatus. Being in the last 4 of a big world tournament has been a rarity for us in the era of Astro-turf (which began in 1976), so this is all the more heartening. Of course, we do have the advantage of playing at home (Raipur in this instance): I hope the performances will also come outside India.

PKBasu

Postby PKBasu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 am

Very interesting tournament structure here, which means the first pool stage is basically meant for practice (since all teams go through to the QF). India sorely lacks practice against the top teams, and that is what they got in the first pool stage.

So, after finishing dead last (with losses to Argentina 0-3, and Holland 1-3, and a draw against Germany 1-1) we took on Britain (who had topped the other pool ahead of Australia, Belgium and hapless Canada) in the knock-out quarterfinal. Lo and behold, we beat Britain, and now face Belgium (who finished 3rd in the other pool) in the SF, while our pool-toppers Holland play Australia (who finished second in the other pool). Pretty neat!

ssp

Postby ssp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm

As far as SSP's point against the current crop of players goes, I do not agree with his statement. If you look at the forward line i.e. Akashdeep and Talwinder are 21 while Ramandeep and Amir Khan are 22. These guys are young and will only get better with time.

Gautum; I'll be very happy to be proven wrong if Akashdeep and Talwinder develop into world class players. The former has been in the squad for 3+ years and he is still very inconsistent. Talwinder scored a nice goal but mis trapped and gave the ball away far too often. I don't see any outstanding qualities from him...yet. I have commented on Ramandeep having more to offer and so haven't been so critical of him. I have commended Amir Khan already. I like the way he keeps the ball when he is surrounded. He has decent speed and possesses lovely skills.

The others that I have criticized are Danish (been around since 2010), Jasjeet (26+yrs old), Chinglensana (around since 2012), Raghunath (2011). They just haven't progressed and should be replaced. I know Raghunath will stay, so I'd play him in midfield and just hope that he avoids green and yellow cards!

The problem is that these guys are playing no other competitive hockey because they are in camps or playing tournaments for the national team. In other countries, players can go back to domestic leagues and work on their weak points. HI should consider placing these youngsters in a European league (Dutch, German, Belgian or English) so that they learn and improve.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Postby jaydeep » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Aussie is in the final beating Dutch side 3-2.
Aussie were up 2-0 in first 25 minutes but Dutch side fought back scoring 2 goals in five minutes ... Aussie scored winner in 42nd minute.

ssp

Postby ssp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Here's an ineresting article on our 'jalebi' style of hockey!!
http://stick2hockey.com/Article/Indian- ... 12684.html

And more thoughts from our new strategy coach, Roger Van Gent:
http://stick2hockey.com/Article/Indian- ... 12684.html

arjun2761

Postby arjun2761 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Interesting article and true observation by the strategy coach.

BTW, both the links above are to the same article.

ssp

Postby ssp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Sorry, 2nd article should have been this one:
http://stick2hockey.com/Article/New-Ind ... 12697.html

Return to “The Indian Hockey Forum”